Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Need help troubleshooting with sinusitis
FAQ
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:41 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

ZombieRN
Unread post  Post subject: Need help troubleshooting with sinusitis  |  Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:47 pm

PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense10 Autoset for Her
Pressure Setting: 5-10

Im hoping to get some help troubleshooting my masks. I’ve been on CPAP now for 4 weeks and on my third mask. Tolerating up to 5 hours unless I’m drunk (on birthday I slept with it for 8hrs lol)

Started off with dreamwear the one that doesn’t have the pillows but just scoops under your nose... it was very leaky in two sizes.

Then got the Respironics wisp nasal mask which seemed ok but when I burry my head in my pillows it would leak and woke me up at least once an hour. I do sleep on my side almost on my stomach because that’s the only way my hip feels comfy (had a previous dislocation) but I flip back and forth like a pancake

Now I’m on ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow. It is amazing for seal... I can sleep how I want.. BUT I have chronic sinusitis of varying degrees. It turns out though, having the heat and humidity cranked (89F and humidity 8 or 9) it actually IMPROVES my sinusitis... I don’t get congested laying flat like I normally do. However, I rain out real bad and drip onto my pillow. I was going to get a wrap but for the time being wrapped the Hose in a blanket. Didn’t quite work. I titrated the humidity all the way to „5“ and it felt good but then I woke up because my nose was stuffy and the stupid CPAP must have thought it was an obstruction cause it was hammering me at a pressure of 10 and i woke up cause I felt like I was suffocating. I’m reluctant to go back to the cpap place... the lady seemed annoyed when I brought the last mask back after only a few days „you barely had it on“ she said.. when I bring concerns like my preferred sleeping position to her, she just tells me I’m going to have to learn to not sleep like that. The thing is, i do and then the masks bothers me and then I take it off. It’s like i know what i am doing but im so sleepy I just don’t care. Then in the morning I’m disappointed with myself for taking it off. So I tried braiding my hair around thenharness and ended up having a half asleep meltdown yanking at my hair and screaming. I barely remember but my husband sure does :?

Either way it seemed like the last two masks tolerated a higher humidity level before rain out... is that a thing? I feel like if I can find the right mask it’ll solve both my severe sleepiness (so sleepy a doctor I work with told me to get checked out for narcolepsy) and my sinusitis. Would appreciate any thoughts, recommendations or even words of encouragement. I really am trying... but the RT seems less than impressed by me.

And yes, my sinusitis is FULLY treated with every nasal spray and irrigation on the planet. Seen two ENTs... I need surgery but it’s too risky because I have a bleeding disorder.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Need help troubleshooting with sinusitis  |  Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:16 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

I have some information about options for dealing with condensation on another forum.
See this thread posts number 2 and 3.
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t9403 ... -road.html

If you can't increase the hose air temp to prevent the condensation in the P10 pillows...and you don't want to increase the bedroom air temp...
consider getting a barrel cozy from Padacheek.
https://www.padacheek.com/barrel-cozies-1

Like you I prefer maximum humidity but sometimes even maximum hose air temp can't prevent the condensation in the pillows because of the short hose allowing the air to cool so much when the bedroom ambient temp is on the colder side.

You might also consider a short hose cozy to help keep the air that makes it to the pillows warmer.