Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - What do you do when... And other questions.
FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:18 pm

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Angielynn
Unread post  Post subject: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:30 pm

PAP Mask: Philip's Dreamwear nasal cusion
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10

I've been waking up with an itchy nose. How do you handle that? If I go under the mask, the air starts rushing out. Is that okay?

What do you do when you have to go to the bathroom? Do you detach and leave the machine on? Do you turn it off before you go and turn it on again when you return so it restarts at a low pressure? And do you leave your mask on our remove it?

Also, when I wake up at night, sometimes it feels like it's blowing strong, but at the same time I can't catch my breath. I feel that suffocation thing. This is especially true if I get up to go to the bathroom. When I return after the exertion of going to the bathroom and rearranging my blankets, I feel like the starting pressure is possibly too low.

I raised the pressure from 4 to 5 starting last night but still had the problem. Should I start higher? I need to ramp also because of trying to avoid vertigo, so what do I set the ramping beginning pressure to?

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:59 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

as far as the itching: Trim your nose hair...

The air blows it around, and your brain thinks "THERE'S A BUG!" and makes you scratch.

as to your question, my machine turns off a few seconds after I take off my mask.

Angielynn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi diamaunt - I'll try but I don't have much in the way of nose hair. It's really on the outside of my nose.

I don't think my machine is set to turn off. I think there's a setting for that but not sure what it is.

Do you remove your mask to go to the bathroom?

Anyone else have answers? Thanks

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:32 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Angielynn wrote:
Hi diamaunt - I'll try but I don't have much in the way of nose hair. It's really on the outside of my nose.

It never feels like an itch *in* the nose, always on/near... but many people have complained of the same thing, had a trim, and not had the itching problem anymore...

May work for you, may not.

Angielynn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks. I can't find my small scissors. I'll have to buy a pair and try it.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:57 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

I remove my mask and turn the machine off if I get up out of bed.
You don't have to but when it blows without you being attached it might mess with the leak numbers. Not a big deal one way or the other.

Some machines have a feature that you can turn on so when you remove the mask the machine turns itself off so as to not mess with those leak numbers ...plus the loud blowing could disturb a bed partner if you have one.

I don't know which machine you are using...
when you have time please add your equipment to your profile so we don't have to wonder what you are using and what is available to you in the form of various options.

Angielynn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:11 am

Thank you Pugsy, I will.

Gaggers
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:47 am

PAP Mask: small full face mask
PAP Machine: Resmed 10 auto
Pressure Setting: CPAP 12 to 20. Changed it to 10 to 14 because swallowing air

What do you do when you swallow air when using your CPAP machine? I turned the pressure down, and swallowed less air, but still some. I don’t want to turn it down more in case it stops preventing apnea. I went from 12 to 20 to 10 to 14.
Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:39 am

Gaggers wrote:
What do you do when you swallow air when using your CPAP machine? I turned the pressure down, and swallowed less air, but still some. I don’t want to turn it down more in case it stops preventing apnea. I went from 12 to 20 to 10 to 14.
Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Common problem for a lot of people.
First thing I would suggest is make use of any exhale relief available.
Are you using any exhale relief and if you are at what setting?

Angielynn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:45 am

Hi Pugsy, I think that's the BPR setting? Is that correct? I have it at 1 right now. It goes up to 3. Should I make it higher?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:12 pm

EPR Exhale pressure relief
the higher the number the greather the relief or drop during exhale.
Only limitation is if a person is starting out with a low setting then EPR may not be able to do much even if set to max of 3 because the machine can't ever go below 4 cm.

With EPR each setting is a 1 cm drop during exhale.
The setting of 3 is a 3 cm drop during exhale. If the starting pressure is 5 cm...even if set to 3 the machine can only drop to 4 cm.
It's weird but sometimes it's easier to breathe with the minimum of 7 and EPR of 3 than it is with 5 being the minimum pressure.

Angielynn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:17 pm

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Gaggers
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:49 am

Hi, Pugsy and Angielynn,

Thanks for the information and discussion. I was feeling in such pain from all the aggressive gas that I wondered what I could do, other than become a hermit lol!!
I checked the settings as you said to do, Pugsy, and lo and behold, the EPR was set to three, BUT it was turned off!! Now that it’s back on I’m hoping for a less gassy morning tomorrow.

Thank you for the hot tip!

Gaggers

Gaggers
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:51 pm

Wow! It was MUCH better — didn’t have to endure gut pain all day! I’m going to leave it on the lower pressure for awhile so the machine can track the apnea events and then go back to my higher pressure for 10 days and then the people who set me up with the equipment can evaluate and advise where to set it going forward.

Thank you again, Pugsy — I appreciate the relief.

Sleepdeprived
Unread post  Post subject: Re: What do you do when... And other questions.  |  Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:35 am

PAP Mask: FP Simplus small
PAP Machine: Respironics System One
Humidifier: Respironics System One heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: BIPAP ST 13/9E back-up rate = 12

The person at the sleep center laughed at me when I told him what I do for an itchy nose. I have an itchy nose too so here's what I do: I bought Oragel numbing gel used for mouth sores and rub it on around the outside of my nose, inside too and on my lips. I fall asleep before it wears off and I don't feel the itching. Sounds crazy but it works for me..I have to make sure I kiss hubby goodnight first in case he gets any on him.