Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Not enough oxygen sometimes
FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:54 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

Angielynn
Unread post  Post subject: Not enough oxygen sometimes  |  Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:44 pm

PAP Mask: Philip's Dreamwear nasal cusion
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10

I'm finally able to use the cpap with my third mask, but sometimes I feel I'm not getting enough oxygen.

It's set to start at level 4 and it can go to 20.

I set the ramp at 45 minutes. I did that long ramp because I read that this could prevent vertigo with auto-pap. I was having a problem with vertigo, and this has seemed to help.

The problem is that when I lay down at night to go to sleep with it, sometimes I feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen. This is especially true when I get up in the night to go to the bathroom.

When I go to the bathroom, I turn off my cpap and turn it back on when I return. I was leaving it on when I left, but when I returned and put the mask back on, it felt like it was blowing too strong when I reattached. So now when I restart it, it starts back at level 4 and doesn't ramp for 45 minutes. I especially feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen at that time.

Do I need to request a higher starting point? Like 5 maybe? Or should I leave it as it is and just try to adjust?

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Not enough oxygen sometimes  |  Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:46 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Turn off the ramp..or...increase the starting pressure...or....increase the starting pressure and reduce the ramp time. Experiment. Learn to make your own adjustments. You will be on this machine for the rest of your life, learn how it works.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Not enough oxygen sometimes  |  Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:16 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Request a higher starting point than the 4 cm it is set at now.
The most common complaint about the 4 cm starting point is that suffocation like feeling. We won't suffocate but it darn sure feels like we are because not much air is moving.
Probably 5 or even 6 cm starting point.

Oh...that ramp thing...It's not even working when the minimum pressure is 4 cm. The machine can't go lower than 4 cm so if the minimum setting is 4 cm it can't be any lower to ramp up to 4 cm.
Turn it off unless you need it and most people won't need it until pressures are much higher than your starting pressures.

Angielynn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Not enough oxygen sometimes  |  Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:32 am

Hi Pugsy and LSAT. Thanks. I'll try 5 tonight. Pugsy I'm not really sure I understand. I was under the impression that ramping is going from my starting pressure up to where it needs to be after I've fallen asleep, and after the set ramp time. Is that incorrect?

My machine is set to go as high as 20, so I thought it can't go up until the ramp time starts, and then it starts adjusting up to the proper level.

Is that incorrect?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Not enough oxygen sometimes  |  Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:55 am

Ramp is not the same thing as the machine increasing the pressure as it sees the need to increase.
People use the term "ramping up" but it really is not the best term to use for the machine simply doing the auto adjusting as needed.

Ramp is actually a feature to help the person ease into the minimum starting pressure when a person finds that going at the starting pressure from the onset is simply too difficult.

Ramp has nothing to do with the auto adjusting pressure feature.
Ramp has a time limit...and it is nothing more than taking that amount of time to work up to your starting pressure.
Ramp starts out at 4 cm...if your minimum pressure is 4 cm then it has no where to go and is useless.
Now if your minimum starting pressure was say 10 cm...and you set the ramp for 30 minutes then it starts out at 4 cm and takes 30 minutes to work its way up to 10 cm and then that's the real minimum pressure.
Ramp is just a short term limited pressure of sorts.

Turning ramp off doesn't do a thing to the machine's ability to auto adjust the pressures as it sees the need depending on what all is going on with the airway during the night.

Make sense now?

Angielynn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Not enough oxygen sometimes  |  Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:07 pm

absolutely. Thank you for explaining.

So if I understand correctly, let's say I start at 6, for example, and set the ramp for 30 minutes, it would take 30 minutes to get from 4 to the 6?

Then after 30 minutes the auto feature would take over and give me whatever I need to keep breathing?

Does that go upwards more quickly at that time?

What happens if I turn off the ramp? Does it instantly go to whatever pressure it thinks I need at that time?

I'm trying to avoid the quick rise of pressure so I don't get vertigo. Could you make a suggestion as to how to accomplish this?

I think it can detect when you're asleep. Does that play into things?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Not enough oxygen sometimes  |  Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:06 pm

The machine can't detect if you are asleep or not. All it measures is air flow. Now your air flow or breathing changes when you are asleep though and that's when the majority of any changes in pressure will happen.

When the machine senses that the airway is trying to close off due to the soft tissues in the airway collapsing and blocking the airway it will SLOWLY increase the pressure in an effort to hold the airway open and better prevent the airway from collapsing.

It doesn't do anything quickly either in increasing or decreasing the pressures. It takes several minutes either way.

If you turn off the ramp feature then the machine immediately will go to the minimum pressure setting whatever that is...it won't go anywhere else until it senses a need to go up and even then it goes up slowly over a period of several minutes. It can't go from 6 cm to 10 cm in the blink of an eye. Just can't move that fast...might take 5 to 10 to 15 minutes to get to 10 cm depending on what else might be going on with the airway.
Coming back down is the same way...slowly and not abruptly.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Not enough oxygen sometimes  |  Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:07 pm

Oh...the minimum pressure is your most critical pressure setting.
You want it high enough to hold the airway open for the bulk of the night and only need to increase the pressure for special circumstances when more pressure is needed.

Angielynn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Not enough oxygen sometimes  |  Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:21 pm

Thank you for explaining. So what minimum is usually best? Or is it different for everyone?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Not enough oxygen sometimes  |  Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Minimum pressure needs vary with the individuals and their own unique physical needs along with the cpap machine and mask they happen to be using.