Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Total Newbie- Need Help with Mask Seal
FAQ
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:27 pm

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

EZCUSE
Unread post  Post subject: Total Newbie- Need Help with Mask Seal  |  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:41 pm

So I am new to the CPAP world.

My doctor told me that I needed to get on a CPAP machine so today in the mail I received the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto along with the Resmed Airfit N20.

I will say that the directions they provide are awful. Wit that said, I determined that I wear a small but every time I put the nasal mask on and start the machine the machine gives me a red unhappy face when it comes to the Mask Seal. This is no matter how tight or flimsy I make the headgear portion of the mask. I’ve also tried the M and L size with the same red unhappy face.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone give me some tips on how to get a happy face when it comes to the mask seal so I can start using the CPAP machine.

Happy to answer more questions if I have not provided enough info.

Thanks.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Total Newbie- Need Help with Mask Seal  |  Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:26 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

There should be some videos from ResMed available that shows the fitting steps. Have you seen them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_kTSko5Vak

Make sure the water chamber is inserted fully and completely...if it isn't then there is a leak there that the machine will interpret as mask leak.
I have done this myself...just not quite clicked in that water chamber.
Make sure all hose connections are sealed too.

EZCUSE
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Total Newbie- Need Help with Mask Seal  |  Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:15 am

Thank you for the help but nothing is working.

I have re-checked all of the seals, I made sure the water is filled up and that it's clicked into the machine. The machine turns on, I have air coming into my nose, the machine tells me the humidifier is on but it still says the mask seal is bad.

I have been on hold with Resmed for 20 min waiting to speak to someone. I feel no leaks in terms of coming from the top of the mask or bottom of the mask.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Total Newbie- Need Help with Mask Seal  |  Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:12 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Are you sure there isn't a hole in the hose somewhere?

Any facial hair?

And just so I am clear as to what you are telling me...you cannot even get a smiley face at all when you do the mask fit thing while you are totally awake and know for sure you don't feel a leak?

Jmo2
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Total Newbie- Need Help with Mask Seal  |  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:41 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed F20
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: 18

This may sound stupid, is your mouth closed. You could be leaking out your mouth. I had to go to a full face mask because I leaked through my mouth.