div id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep
FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:00 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

HirenP
Unread post  Post subject: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:45 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Nasal Pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Part of machine
Pressure Setting: 10-13

I have been using CPAP Resmed Airsense 10, with nose pillow for a week. I was diagnosed with mild obstructive apnea. With the machine, I get an AHI of less than 1.0 for the last week, which is good. But I still wake up multiple times a night because just as I fall into deep sleep air blows into mouth, shoves my lips open, and it wakes me up. It is happening so many times (I can remember 4 or 5 each night), that I feel more like a zombie than before I was using the machine.

5 nights ago, I duct taped my mouth before going to bed, but it didn't help because the pressure would make my mouth balloon something fierce, and wake me up. Then, I added a chin strap, but the ballooning mouth kept happening. Then the last three nights, I added another chin strap, but this time, fastened it across my face at my lips and cheeks in hopes that the strap would prevent my mouth from ballooning. Although it doesn't balloon, the air is getting into spaces between my gums and lips, and it feels awful and keeps waking me up.

It takes 30 minutes to tape up, fasten the two chin straps, and hookup my CPAP. Is there an alternative to this madness????

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:02 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Ditch the nasal mask, duct tape and chinstraps and get a Full Face Mask for starters.

HirenP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Ok, I will get a mask tonight! Will see how it goes!

steverose
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:41 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Swift FX nasal pillow
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10

So, how did it go? I am having the same issues with being startled awake by the gush of air out of my mouth.

HirenP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:56 pm

The face mask didn't work for me. I toss and turn a lot in bed, and the slightest nudge of my face mask causes massive leaks. I had to switch back to the nose pillows, and I am back to my 30min routine of wrapping up my face in tape and chinstraps. It works, but it's really uncomfortable. Especially, when I get thirsty at night.

dgal
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:32 pm

Have you tried doing the painter's tape method that Jason recommended in one of his videos? That is more comfortable than duct tape!! I would try that first. I tried the chin strap once and it was very painful for me. If those don't work try a different full face mask and make sure straps are secure. Watch Jason's videos for recommendations on masks that give the least amount of leakage. There's a new Resmed f30 that looks promising. I plan to try that out. I am forced to do full face because of my allergies :(