Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep
FAQ
It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:05 am

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

HirenP
Unread post  Post subject: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:45 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Nasal Pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Part of machine
Pressure Setting: 10-13

I have been using CPAP Resmed Airsense 10, with nose pillow for a week. I was diagnosed with mild obstructive apnea. With the machine, I get an AHI of less than 1.0 for the last week, which is good. But I still wake up multiple times a night because just as I fall into deep sleep air blows into mouth, shoves my lips open, and it wakes me up. It is happening so many times (I can remember 4 or 5 each night), that I feel more like a zombie than before I was using the machine.

5 nights ago, I duct taped my mouth before going to bed, but it didn't help because the pressure would make my mouth balloon something fierce, and wake me up. Then, I added a chin strap, but the ballooning mouth kept happening. Then the last three nights, I added another chin strap, but this time, fastened it across my face at my lips and cheeks in hopes that the strap would prevent my mouth from ballooning. Although it doesn't balloon, the air is getting into spaces between my gums and lips, and it feels awful and keeps waking me up.

It takes 30 minutes to tape up, fasten the two chin straps, and hookup my CPAP. Is there an alternative to this madness????

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:02 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Ditch the nasal mask, duct tape and chinstraps and get a Full Face Mask for starters.

HirenP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Ok, I will get a mask tonight! Will see how it goes!

steverose
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:41 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Swift FX nasal pillow
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10

So, how did it go? I am having the same issues with being startled awake by the gush of air out of my mouth.

HirenP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:56 pm

The face mask didn't work for me. I toss and turn a lot in bed, and the slightest nudge of my face mask causes massive leaks. I had to switch back to the nose pillows, and I am back to my 30min routine of wrapping up my face in tape and chinstraps. It works, but it's really uncomfortable. Especially, when I get thirsty at night.

dgal
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:32 pm

Have you tried doing the painter's tape method that Jason recommended in one of his videos? That is more comfortable than duct tape!! I would try that first. I tried the chin strap once and it was very painful for me. If those don't work try a different full face mask and make sure straps are secure. Watch Jason's videos for recommendations on masks that give the least amount of leakage. There's a new Resmed f30 that looks promising. I plan to try that out. I am forced to do full face because of my allergies :(

eggerskf
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:28 am

PAP Mask: DreamWear Nasal
PAP Machine: Respironcis DreamStation
Humidifier: Yep - builtin
Pressure Setting: 5.0 - 12.0

Hi, I'm new to using a CPAP. I have the Dreamwear nasal, works fine. After I get thru my ramp pressure and asleep, I start leaking thru lips/mouth. Wake up, cannot fall asleep, bad experience. I wear a chin strap. One night I wore two. After reading a few posts about taking control of my sleep apnea, not relying on a Dr., I decided to hack my device and lower my pressure from max of 12 to 8. I adjusted chin strap to be good and snug/tight. I really like the idea of tape. I will try it if the lower pressure is not effective.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:26 pm

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

eggerskf wrote:
Hi, I'm new to using a CPAP. I have the Dreamwear nasal, works fine. After I get thru my ramp pressure and asleep, I start leaking thru lips/mouth. Wake up, cannot fall asleep, bad experience. I wear a chin strap. One night I wore two. After reading a few posts about taking control of my sleep apnea, not relying on a Dr., I decided to hack my device and lower my pressure from max of 12 to 8. I adjusted chin strap to be good and snug/tight. I really like the idea of tape. I will try it if the lower pressure is not effective.

Pretty good chance that with the change you made, your AHI will escelate..Leave the max at 12 (that may not even be high enough) and tape your mouth or use a full face mask.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:28 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

eggerskf wrote:
I decided to hack my device

:roll: Going into a menu and changing a setting isn't 'hacking". Going into the firmware and turning it into a different kind of cpap, now, THAT would be hacking'.
eggerskf wrote:
and lower my pressure from max of 12 to 8.

Sounds like a bad idea to me, making changes that aren't indicated by the *data*.

eggerskf wrote:
I wear a chin strap. One night I wore two.

Chin straps don't prevent lip leaking, all they do is keep your teeth together, and as you found out, teeth aren't airtight.

Tape, a headband, or a double sided boil and bite mouthguard work far better.

eggerskf
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:32 am

PAP Mask: DreamWear Nasal
PAP Machine: Respironcis DreamStation
Humidifier: Yep - builtin
Pressure Setting: 5.0 - 12.0

Worked, I think? I used wide painters tape, single wrap over lips/mouth, then used tight chin strap. Strangely, I was unable to fall asleep, felt like I was up all night but I must have fell asleep cause I woke up at wife's alarm 6 bours later and felt kinda rested. Tape worked great to keep lips airtight. Now I need some help understanding my sleep report:

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 8.27.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 8.27.07 AM.png [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 1039 times ]

AHI

Usage

6:35hrs.
Mask Fit

100%

Total Clear Airway Apneas

Total Obstructive Apneas

Total Hypopnea

Best Night

December 14, 2018

14-Day Average

Min Pressure

5.0cmH2O

Max Pressure

8.0cmH2O

90% Pressure

8.0cmH2O

Device Mode

Auto CPAP with C-Flex

Ramp

On

Ramp Time

30min

Ramp Start Pressure

4.0cmH2O

Best Usage

December 14, 2018

14-Day Average

6:10 hrs.

Total Disconnects

Large Leak Time

0:00 hrs.

% of Night in Large Leak

0.0%

Best Mask Fit

December 14, 2018

14-Day Average

100% fit

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:23 pm

First, glad that the tape worked.

Second, What machine do you have? there's a bunch of very different dreamstations.

Third, your sleep report, even though it took up pages on my screen, *blink* really tells me nothing, get sleepyhead (see my sig).

AlanP
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:45 pm

You should not have to go through this ordeal. The therapy should not be worse than the ailment. First ask your doc to lower the incoming pressure as much as possible so you can fall asleep I was getting great numbers with the nasal mask, but I was falling asleep before my mouth could fill,up with air. Then it started happening more frequently, and I couldn't use the nasal mask at all. I was switched to a full-face mask, which solves all mouth problems, but I'm still trying to avoid unacceptable levels of leakage. If you push the mask down on your face, the memory foam will conform to whatever the shape of your face is in the position in which you're sleeping. Change position, reposition mask. The Apria rep didn't seem all that concerned with the leakage. but I'm not satisfied. I haven't gone through all this to get a partial solution.

Mrzocor
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:44 pm

PAP Mask: Pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 autoset.
Humidifier: Aircurve

HirenP wrote:
The face mask didn't work for me. I toss and turn a lot in bed, and the slightest nudge of my face mask causes massive leaks. I had to switch back to the nose pillows, and I am back to my 30min routine of wrapping up my face in tape and chinstraps. It works, but it's really uncomfortable. Especially, when I get thirsty at night.

You shouldn't have to do any of that. Better off living with Sleep Apnea than do all of that garbage.

Mrzocor
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:41 pm

LSAT wrote:
eggerskf wrote:

Pretty good chance that with the change you made, your AHI will escelate..Leave the max at 12 (that may not even be high enough) and tape your mouth or use a full face mask.

Never tape your mouth! common sense people.

Mrzocor
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:43 pm

AlanP wrote:
You should not have to go through this ordeal. The therapy should not be worse than the ailment. First ask your doc to lower the incoming pressure as much as possible so you can fall asleep I was getting great numbers with the nasal mask, but I was falling asleep before my mouth could fill,up with air. Then it started happening more frequently, and I couldn't use the nasal mask at all. I was switched to a full-face mask, which solves all mouth problems, but I'm still trying to avoid unacceptable levels of leakage. If you push the mask down on your face, the memory foam will conform to whatever the shape of your face is in the position in which you're sleeping. Change position, reposition mask. The Apria rep didn't seem all that concerned with the leakage. but I'm not satisfied. I haven't gone through all this to get a partial solution.

The AHI's are all you have to worry about any way. Unless you have massive air leaks, I wouldn't worry about it.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:40 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Mrzocor wrote:
The AHI's are all you have to worry about any way. Unless you have massive air leaks, I wouldn't worry about it.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

There is SO much more to obtaining good sleep and feeling better than the AHI numbers or any numbers for that matter.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:58 pm

Mrzocor wrote:
LSAT wrote:
eggerskf wrote:

Never tape your mouth! common sense people.

It's obvious you have no sense, and know nothing about CPAP therapy.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:59 pm

Mrzocor wrote:
AlanP wrote:

Says the poster boy for 'Ignorance today".

Mrzocor
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:20 pm

steverose wrote:
So, how did it go? I am having the same issues with being startled awake by the gush of air out of my mouth.

Gush of air? Sounds like a fitting problem to me. Should not have gushes of air coming out.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help! Air blows out my mouth when I enter deep sleep  |  Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:23 pm

Mrzocor wrote:
steverose wrote:

Gush of air? Sounds like a fitting problem to me. Should not have gushes of air coming out.

Stop posting crap, you're the poster child for ignorant garbage.