div id="Mask Bright" style="width:728px;margin:auto;float:center";z-index:8"> Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Looking for a new mask
FAQ
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:01 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

moondoggy
Unread post  Post subject: Looking for a new mask  |  Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:26 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Mirage Softgel
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Humidifier: Resmed H5i Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 13 to 17

This is sort of a multi-part request for help.

The mask I have been using for the last several years is a Resmed Marage Softgel nasal mask and it has served me well up. Since I have lost 53 pounds I've noticed that since I'm thinner in the face, the fit of the mask is not what it used to be and my leak rate has increased. Compounding this problem I learned today that Resmed has discontinuted this mask and I'm assuming that they will also discontinue selling expendable supplies (i.e. straps, clips and the gel inserts, etc.). I have plenty of extras on hand however I now worry that eventually I will need somethng new.

In April I purchased a Resmed AirFit N20 Nasal mask from my medical supply provider and when I'm lying flat on my back the mask is comfortable, has a good fit and is very light weight. The problem I have with the Airfit is that I toss and turn and sleep on both sides and when I lie on my side it leaks worse then my Softgel. Unfortunately, my medical supply provider does not have a "test drive" program where I can try out a new mask and will only do a one time exchange for another mask withing a 30 day timeframe. Becasue my softgel mask has been discontinued I had no real optoin for the one time exchange so I just kept the mask.

So, here's my questions.......

1. Both my new and previous medical providers has suggested that I'm not a good candidate for nasal pillows and the full face masked I tried 4 years ago leaked. Since I've not been looking for a new mask for years, can anyone suggest a good mask for someone like me that will not leak when sleeping on my side>

2. The problem, I believe, with my Airfit is that the lower strap attachecment on this mask are too low and when I turn on my side there's just not enough tension to keep the seal tight on my face. Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem with the AirFit that will cause the mask to be held more in place?

3. I'm not sure if it was this forum or another but several years ago there was someone who was connected with a store that would allow you to try out CPAP masks for $5.00. Can anyone point me in the direction of this individual or company? Bottom line is that I don't want to make another mistake as I did with the Airfit.

Any help and/or advice will be apprecieated.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for a new mask  |  Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:37 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

moondoggy wrote:
Both my new and previous medical providers has suggested that I'm not a good candidate for nasal pillows

Why not a good candidate for nasal pillow mask?

moondoggy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for a new mask  |  Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:02 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed Mirage Softgel
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Humidifier: Resmed H5i Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 13 to 17

Pugsy wrote:
moondoggy wrote:
Both my new and previous medical providers has suggested that I'm not a good candidate for nasal pillows

Why not a good candidate for nasal pillow mask?

What I was was that with my pressure and the fact that I toss and turn all night long, it would be hard to maintain a good mask to face seal

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for a new mask  |  Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:15 pm

Well....that's a bunch of hooey IMHO.

I see pressures in the upper teens often...I toss and turn all night long because I can't stay in any one position very long because of pain...and I have used nasal pillows quite successfully.
In fact they are more stable than the nasal cushion masks I have tried.

Suit yourself but whoever told you that either didn't have personal experience with it or they were just perpetuating that old wives tale about high pressures and pillows and stability.
They did you no favors if they didn't at least let you try a nasal pillow.

When I was using ASV machine I saw pressures over 20 cm nearly every night for part of the night. Slept right through it and leaks weren't any worse than anything else.

Been on cpap for ever 9 years now. Pretty much nasal pillow user all that time except for brief experiments with something else just to break up the boredom.

Look at the F & P Brevida...it's officially a nasal pillow mask but it looks a feels a bit more like a cushion due to the way it's made.

hoserdude
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for a new mask  |  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:35 am

PAP Mask: Philips Dreamwear under nose Nasal mask
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Humidifier: resmed heated
Pressure Setting: Ipap 24 /Epap 12

Pugsy I tried the dreamwear gel nasal pillows but could NOT get it to feel comfortable up my nose and it seemed it leaked a lot. However the Dreamwear under the nose cushion seems to work really well for me. I know I'm mixing two separate brands and types of mask here but....It sort of sounds like the F & P Brevida is sort of a combination of the under the nose dreamwear and a more comfortable nasal pillow? Would it be more comfortable then the dreamwear under the nose do you think? Thx

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for a new mask  |  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:32 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

What Pugsy said...

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for a new mask  |  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:23 am

hoserdude wrote:
Pugsy I tried the dreamwear gel nasal pillows but could NOT get it to feel comfortable up my nose and it seemed it leaked a lot. However the Dreamwear under the nose cushion seems to work really well for me. I know I'm mixing two separate brands and types of mask here but....It sort of sounds like the F & P Brevida is sort of a combination of the under the nose dreamwear and a more comfortable nasal pillow? Would it be more comfortable then the dreamwear under the nose do you think? Thx

Nasal pillow masks don't go "up the nose" like some people might think. They rest gently on the nostril opening and the only thing that is actually inside the nostril is the tiny tip of that inner cone and it should never be touching inside the nostril. If anything is touching inside the nostrils....things are way too tight or the wrong size pillow is being used and it's trying to crawl up inside the nose.

I have tried both the F & P Brevida and the DreamWear under the nose cushion (even tried the gel pillow version).
Pros and cons to either and my pros might be someone else's cons. It's just the way of life for a mask.
After so many years of using nasal pillows the under the nose cushion of the DreamWear always felt like it was leaking due to the air blowing on the end of the nose....even when it wasn't leaking. That and the fact that I think I probably need an extra small in the DreamWear cushion for optimal fit....and they don't make an extra small cushion would lead me to prefer the Brevida over the DreamWear if I was choosing between those 2 masks.

The Brevida is a nasal pillow mask but the pillow is made out of super thin silicone and it does sort of wrap around the end of the nose just a bit. It is much softer touching the skin than the DreamWear cushion. It's silent with the diffused venting and very adjustable in terms of headgear potential adjustments to obtain optimal fit.

All I know to tell you is give it a try and see how you like the Brevida. You know the mask thing always has that YMMV thing.
One man's treasure is another man's trash.

hoserdude
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Looking for a new mask  |  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:04 am

PAP Mask: Philips Dreamwear under nose Nasal mask
Humidifier: resmed heated
Pressure Setting: Ipap 24 /Epap 12

Thanks Pugsy.