Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - New CPAP user and frustrated with mask issues
FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

lmvahl
Unread post  Post subject: New CPAP user and frustrated with mask issues  |  Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:17 am

PAP Mask: Liberty Hybrid, Amara View, & Dreamwear FF Mask
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: ResMed Airsense 10
Pressure Setting: 10

So I just started my CPAP experience. My biggest issue is finding a mask. The Home Health (HH) person I'm working with doesn't seem very interested in actually helping me find a mask that will actually fit me and that I can use comfortably. She also doesn't seem like she is interested in trying different masks, and when I asked her about ordering different kinds she was not very receptive in doing that.

The mask that I was sent home with from the sleep lab is the Resmed F20. That one was OK, but I don't like anything on the bridge of my nose so I tried the Amara View full face mask. The first night with the Amara was good, but has since gone downhill. The sides seem hard and are leaving marks, and it feels like there is air shooting into my eyes all night. My machine says there is not air leak though.In the morning I have red marks at the sides of my face, and my eyes feel weird and bugged out. When I spoke to my HH person she said I did not give the mask a good enough try and just need to stick with it because my machine says it works fine. From the reviews I'm wondering If the Dreamwear full face mask would be better. Similar to the Amara view, but a little softer??

I'm ultimately wondering if I should switch to a different Home Health professional. I have great insurance that will cover my supplies, but I need to find a mask that actually works!

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New CPAP user and frustrated with mask issues  |  Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:05 pm

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Check with your insurance to see what DMEs are in Network. Visit them if you can and decide if they are better than your current one.

lmvahl
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New CPAP user and frustrated with mask issues  |  Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:09 pm

So I have an appointment with a different HHA tomorrow. I'm hoping to get more information and maybe some better help. I plan on taking my mask with me and returning it to the other HHA if possible. The CPAP machine itself should be OK as I was actually able to buy it through my insurance so it is mine. Hopefully I can find a mask that I like and can use.

lmvahl
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New CPAP user and frustrated with mask issues  |  Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:44 pm

It can't be this hard!!!!!!

I found out that the CPAP machine the HHA supplied me with is not the right machine. I got a ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP, but instead I need the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. I'm hoping I can return the machine I have and get the one I need since I am still within my 10 day window.

I was able to try on the Dreamwear Full face mask and really liked it, so much more comfortable than the Amara, but since I can't return the Amara I will need to buy the Dreamwear out of pocket, or wait until September when Insurance says I can get a replacement.

I'm sure CPAP will work for me, but it's been such a trial to get set up! And Frustrating because I don't feel like there's been any training, or real help at all. I really want this to work, and to start feeling better!

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New CPAP user and frustrated with mask issues  |  Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:55 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

If you have the funds, I would buy the mask out of pocket and not wait. The sooner you get comfortable the sooner CPAP will work for you and the better your experience the more likely you are to stick with it even through the difficult days/nights. If you don't have the funds, maybe a mask liner will help cushion the Amara View.

lmvahl
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New CPAP user and frustrated with mask issues  |  Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:34 pm

So I returned the incorrect machine to the bad DME, and got my correct machine from the new DME which has been really helpful. She even gave me a face cushion to that fits me for my F20 at no cost. So now I'm hoping that with this new machine and the better fit I will finally get the sleep I need. I have also ordered a Dreamwear full face mask out of pocket, but until it gets here I will hopefully have some better nights! Thanks!

lmvahl
Unread post  Post subject: Re: New CPAP user and frustrated with mask issues  |  Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:08 pm

So I've tried a few different masks (which can get expensive) I now have the dreamwear full face mask, the Amara view, the F20, and Respironics hybrid. I like some things from each and dislike some things from each. The hybrid is nice and doesn't usually leak, but it's a little too big, I'm waiting for the smaller size to come then I will fully judge it. The F20 makes the bridge of my nose hurt so I really don't wear that, the dreamwear is nice but it pushes the end of my nose us and makes a fart noise unless I have it really tight which is uncomfortable. I move around too much for the dreamwear. I think if I didn't move so much it would be a great mask. The Amara has been the one I wear most but it seems to have a small airleak going towards my eyes. I've found mask liners for the Amara and the hybrid so that will be what I try next. I WILL win and find something that I can wear with my CPAP because I do feel better with it than without it.