Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - CPAP or BIPAP? What Issues Make Doctors Decide?
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Ms.OwLMooN
Unread post  Post subject: CPAP or BIPAP? What Issues Make Doctors Decide?  |  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:45 am

PAP Mask: I now have the Resmed Air Fit F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Humidifier: Resmed S9 Series H5i Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: Low 16 High is 20

What do doctors see on sleep reports that determines whether a patient needs CPAP or BIPAP?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP or BIPAP? What Issues Make Doctors Decide?  |  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:56 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Pressure needs (like over 20 cm).

Or simply comfort issues at any pressure. Bilevel allows for a greater difference between inhale and exhale and it's that difference that offers us the greater comfort.

Or in the case of those specialty bilevel machines for special problems...a special problem like centrals.

Some bilevel machines are nothing more than a cpap/apap machine with greater ability to make that difference between inhale and exhale bigger than what a person can get with using whatever exhale relief their cpap/apap has available.

Some bilevels are very complicated with a lot more than just exhale relief being offered.

Ms.OwLMooN
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP or BIPAP? What Issues Make Doctors Decide?  |  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:53 am

PAP Mask: I now have the Resmed Air Fit F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Humidifier: Resmed S9 Series H5i Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: Low 16 High is 20

Pugsy wrote:
Pressure needs (like over 20 cm).

Or simply comfort issues at any pressure. Bilevel allows for a greater difference between inhale and exhale and it's that difference that offers us the greater comfort.

Or in the case of those specialty bilevel machines for special problems...a special problem like centrals.

Some bilevel machines are nothing more than a cpap/apap machine with greater ability to make that difference between inhale and exhale bigger than what a person can get with using whatever exhale relief their cpap/apap has available.

Some bilevels are very complicated with a lot more than just exhale relief being offered.

Wow, it sounds very complicated.

In my opinion with what I've read here in this forum and issues that I'm struggling with I feel that I might need Auto Bipap? But of course I know that my doctor has to decide this.

I just don't know if the problems that I'm having are enough to convince my doctor that I might need BIPAP.

I see my doctor next month and I do want to ask her If she will order another sleep study for me and see what happens after that.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: CPAP or BIPAP? What Issues Make Doctors Decide?  |  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:38 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Unless you have something special going on (like centrals) if you would need a bilevel machine it would most likely be what I call a "plain" bilevel machine which is nothing more than a cpap/apap machine that can go higher than 20 cm or has the greater difference between inhale and exhale (it's called pressure support) than we can get using the exhale relief feature.

Your exhale relief feature offered on your machine is called EPR and it can be set to 1, 2 or 3 cm and it makes your machine a bilevel machine of sorts.
Example...if you were using EPR of 3...that would make your machine act like a bilevel machine and with your current minimum pressure of 16 cm your EPAP would be 13 and IPAP would be 16 and if you went to 20 (your machine max) for IPAP then your EPAP would be 17.

So if you aren't using EPR at 3...you might give it a try and see how you do in terms of exhale comfort.
It's going to function like a bilevel machine would function if PS was set to 3.
Now a real bilevel machine would let you use 4 PS or even 5 PS.
But using EPR at 3 will give you some idea of how a bilevel feels.

A real bilevel wouldn't be limited to 20 cm...the max is 25..so if you need more than 20 cm pressure to keep the airway open then bilevel is the way to go.

I know you are having problems but I am not current with all your problems or what they are. If it is exhale issues...bilevel might help. If it is aerophagia issues (air in the belly) bilevel might help.

Have you tried EPR at 3?