FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:51 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

sleepslug
Unread post  Post subject: Got my machine. Feeling more tired with treatment?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:40 pm

PAP Mask: Philips Dreamwear
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Humidifier: Heated
Pressure Setting: Range 7-16

Hello,

I just bought my Philips Dreamstation on Saturday (Dec 9/17). I've been doing my best to get at least 4 hours of treatment a night. However, I find that even though I have a "good" night sleep (my definition of that is going to bed early enough to get 8 hours of sleep, and not waking up a pile of times) I'm feeling almost more tired on the cpap when without it. Just from some searching online I can see other people experience that but I'm curious how long that might last, and if it's just my body adapting to having a leaf blower on my face.

My pressure levels aren't high. Usually it's around 7 or 8. I downloaded Sleepyhead, but I'm not sure what I should screenshot to share. I'll just share what shows before I scroll down. The sleep tech/machine sales person says my data looks "good" and it looks like the machine is resolving the apnea issue bringing me down from 17-25 without treatment to under 5.

Any tips, advice... what to expect? It just seems weird I feel more rested when I don't use the cpap.

Thanks!

Attachments:
sleepslug-Dec14.PNG
sleepslug-Dec14.PNG [ 144.67 KiB | Viewed 758 times ]
TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Got my machine. Feeling more tired with treatment?  |  Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

That's a pretty common thing to experience even if everything seems to be going well. Some people actually have problems that appear to be hampering their sleep. Your sleep (from the screenshot) looks like it's pretty good. Leak looks to be steady and acceptable.

There is a theory about sleep debt that it can take a month to "catch up" on sleep. I buy into that theory somewhat. I also acknowledge that not all tiredness is because of sleep and sleep apnea. Have you had bloodwork done recently?

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

sleepslug
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Got my machine. Feeling more tired with treatment?  |  Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:28 pm

PAP Mask: Philips Dreamwear
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Humidifier: Heated
Pressure Setting: Range 7-16

Bloodwork was one of the first things I did. I am prone to anemia but that seems to be under control at the moment. B12 and vitamin D can also be low so I supplement with those.

I was curious if other people got over their initial fatigue just by waiting it out and using the machine as much an evening as possible. I'm probably just impatient to feel better. I seem to be adapting to the treatment quickly though which is a relief because I know a lot of people really struggle at first.

Thanks for your feedback!

BigJerr
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Got my machine. Feeling more tired with treatment?  |  Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am

I have noticed that I don't feel any better. I've checked for leaks. Had the techs check, etc. I have like one apnea an hour and they say everything is great in my readings. Though the readings are great I'm going to try, one more time, to get the pressure increased somehow. Also make sure that the machine's and nasal mask's filters are always clean.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Got my machine. Feeling more tired with treatment?  |  Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:32 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

You're not sleeping peacefully for much of the night, try bumping the pressure one or two higher.

When there's no change in pressure for long times with the respironics machines, that means that it's detecting less than good breathing.

When you're getting those sharp spikes, that means the machine thinks everything is great, so it starts screwing around with the pressure "to see if things get better" or some rot... seems stupid and backwards to me. If things aren't *GOOD*, THEN try and make them better... but noooo.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Got my machine. Feeling more tired with treatment?  |  Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:36 pm

PAP Mask: Quattro
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

BigJerr wrote:
I have noticed that I don't feel any better. I've checked for leaks. Had the techs check, etc. I have like one apnea an hour and they say everything is great in my readings. Though the readings are great I'm going to try, one more time, to get the pressure increased somehow. Also make sure that the machine's and nasal mask's filters are always clean.

You should start your own post so you are not confused with sleepslug

BigJerr
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Got my machine. Feeling more tired with treatment?  |  Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:27 pm

LSAT wrote:
BigJerr wrote:

You should start your own post so you are not confused with sleepslug

Ooops. I shall.