FAQ
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:19 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Silent Snootch
Unread post  Post subject: Water in hose  |  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:36 am

PAP Mask: Philips Respironics DreamWear
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics DreamStation
Humidifier: See Above - Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 12 cmH20

My wife last night had to get up twice during the night because water was getting into her hose and causing a gurgling sound. She said the only change that was made was to her humidity setting a few days ago? Would it take a couple days to start this problem? Will turning it back down get rid of that? The cat also jumped up on the machine last night, so we are not sure if she hit any buttons of changed any settings either.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Water in hose  |  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:21 pm

PAP Mask: Quattro
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 11-15

There are several things that may cause the "rainout". Cool room and warm moist air causes condensation...a hose cover may fix this. Also...keep the CPAP lower than the mattress so any excess water runs downhill to the machine. Turning down the humidity will also help. Running the hose over the headboard (if you have one) can keep the moisture running back to the machine and not into your mask. If you can't use the eadboard, try a hose management system.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/arden- ... ystem.html

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Water in hose  |  Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:10 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

It's unlikely that a cat could do more than turn a machine off and back on again.

More likely the conditions were just ripe for condensation last night and maybe weren't when she first increased the humidity setting.
Ambient room air temp plays a huge factor in the chances of condensation happening.

She can turn the humidity down and that may eliminate the problem but sometimes it can happen when those same conditions get just right from the moisture in our own exhaled breath.

I did a little composition that covers pretty much all the options (and there are several) over on the other forum.
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t9403 ... -road.html
Posts number 2 and 3.

My nose likes LOTS of added moisture...and I like a cold bedroom...so I have had extensive experience over the years finding different solutions to the condensation problem that I seem to have because of my preferences. It's fixable but takes some trial and error and deciding what your nose wants and what you want and then go from there.

Easiest thing...get a heated hose if you aren't using a heated hose.
I covered this along with several other options at the above link.
If already using a heated hose and you still have problems there are additional options...and I have a heated hose and I had condensation last night in my nasal pillows. :lol: :lol: So annoying. If it happens again I will add a barrel cozy since I have used them in the past and they help a lot and I am already maxing out the hose air temp. I don't want to reduce the humidity setting because then my nasal mucosa get mad at me and act real ugly about it.

It's totally amazing how much noise just a teaspoon of water in the hose will make...
And if she is like me and using the AirSense model....gravity doesn't help much due to the way the hose attaches to the humidifier.
Been there and done that and tried holding the hose totally vertical and it still didn't drain out enough water to quiet that awful racket in the hose.