Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - newbie stuff
FAQ
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

jgw0
Unread post  Post subject: newbie stuff  |  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:47 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit F20
PAP Machine: AirCurve 10 VAuto

I have just started with a bipap machine and am, basically, clueless. I have, however, some questions.

I do not really understand just what this machine does. I filled out my machine data, as much as I could find and I assume this accompanies this email. I didn't fill everything out as I can't figure out where to get the data. This is what I have in the settings:
ramp 20 minutes
climate control auto
temperature auto
mask full face
airplane mode off

I can't find settings for humidifier or pressure although I think all this stuff is automatic but can be set but I can't find the settings (I will continue to look). I think I was told that the pressure will be around 25

I have used this thing for 3 days. I was told that this machine is automatic so its unnecessary to start, or stop it. Just put it on and it starts and take it off and it will stop.

I have noticed that, when I start, I can easily breath through my mouth although I find breathing through the nose needs to be worked at. Sometimes its easier to exhale through the nose and other times its easier to breath in through the nose. I suspect this has to do with something called the ramp up which is set for 20 minutes. I have also noticed that I seem to wake up around 4:00am every night and I think that is being caused by a leak which, in turn, causes noise which wakes me up (I am not real sure about this one).

Anyway, considering the above, I would like to know about breathing through the nose being harder than through the mouth as I would prefer to breath through my mouth as breathing through the mouth gets wierd. By this I mean I can open my mouth a bit and breath easily but, eventually air gets pushed into my mouth which fills pockets in the mouth and makes the fit more secure but, eventually the mouth is full, the cheeks get stretched and it just isn't as comfortable as breathing through the nose is. So, I would like to breath through my nose but its easier to breath through my mouth although, the nose breathing can get easier although I can't figure out why (or I would repeat it). Again, I think its all got to do with the ramp thing which I was told controls bringing up the pressure.

I should also mention that, years ago, I had an operation that cleared any and all obstructions from my mouth and throat which was supposed to help (it also enabled me to stop smoking!)

I would appreciate thoughts on this or a pointing to someplace that will deal with this stuff. I also realize this is somewhat disjointed and my ignorance is deplorable but I am trying!

Thank you..............

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: newbie stuff  |  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:07 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

I'm guessing you've got stuffy sinuses, and the pressure helps reduce the swelling enough that you can nose breath better after a bit. It's also possible the filtered air is reducing allergens and therefore letting things normalize after a while.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: newbie stuff  |  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:41 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Have you watched any of Jason's (LankyLefty) videos? They are a good place to start. He has videos encompassing machines, masks, common issues and complaints, and much more.

You should be able to toggle off the auto for climate control and temperature if you need added humidity or heat. You can change the time of your ramp by pressing the button when you have it on the ramp setting if you want to increase or decrease your ramp time. Once you get used to your full pressure, you may not want the ramp on anymore.

I highly recommend watching Jason's videos and browsing through old posts of this and any other forum you come across.

jgw0
Unread post  Post subject: Re: newbie stuff  |  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:34 am

PAP Mask: AirFit F20
PAP Machine: AirCurve 10 VAuto

Thanks for the replies and advice. I will have at it now.

Thanks again!

kev2lz
Unread post  Post subject: Re: newbie stuff  |  Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:32 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Integrated
Pressure Setting: 6-16

You might try thumbing through the clinical manual to see if any of the settings you're seeking are covered. Be careful, and it may be a good idea to write down the previous settings before making any adjustments (in case you need to go back).

https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf