FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:53 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

ToothyGrin
Unread post  Post subject: Safe to slow my inhalation to increase autosense's pressure?  |  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:30 am

PAP Mask: Dreamwear pillows
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Pressure Setting: 4-20

I just got Dreamwear Mask's pillow version and find that the starting pressure of 4 doesn't supply enough air and I feel deprived of air. The pressure of 4 lasts for a long time even though Ramp is off.

I found that if I inhale really slowly through my nose, the pressure will rise in about 20 breaths to a higher value e.g. 10, 14 or 15 which is more comfortable. At these higher pressures I can feel the air filling my throat and lungs. It feels very good to me but I wonder...IS IT SAFE TO DO THIS ??

PS: 1. I've ordered the cushion to replace pillows. 2.between slow nasal breaths, I breathe through my mouth so I don't feel even more short of breath

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Safe to slow my inhalation to increase autosense's press  |  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:05 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Why not just start higher from the beginning?
It's common for people to be uncomfortable when starting out at 4 cm and especially so with nasal pillows. Not enough air movement happening in terms of comfort. We won't suffocate but it sure can feel like we are.

Change your minimum starting pressure to something more comfortable...maybe 6 or 7 and see how it goes.
Don't know how?? Manual explains how.
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf

ToothyGrin
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Safe to slow my inhalation to increase autosense's press  |  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:06 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear pillows
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Pressure Setting: 4-20

Pugsy, thanks for your advice. In fact when I went to sleep after posting I learned how to change the pressure limits and started at 8 which felt excellent.

Tangentially,

Despite enjoying the use of Dreamwear which I've had for 4 days, I still find it hard to fall asleep with the cpap on. It's been about 6 weeks on an Swift FX nose mask which kept coming off and waking my spouse and me, 3+ times a night.

Dreamwear mask doesn't come off or feel bad-yay!- but I still don't relax and fall asleep, I see the clock at 3:45am and I'm still alert and enjoying the air movements. I understand it can take several months to get used to it. Thanks for your ideas!

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Safe to slow my inhalation to increase autosense's press  |  Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:05 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

There's no harm in it, but pugsy's right in her advice.. (Pugsy's almost always right... I'm hard pressed to think of any time she's been proven wrong).

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Safe to slow my inhalation to increase autosense's press  |  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:48 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Not being able to fall asleep because of comfort in breathing is one thing....not being able to fall asleep simply because there is a mask on our face and we can't isolate any potential comfort issues as causing the insomnia is another thing.

If you are totally comfortable breathing is there any idea why the trouble going to sleep? Is this something new since starting cpap therapy or did you have trouble falling asleep before starting cpap therapy?

How long does it take you to go to sleep?
You mention being awake at 3:45 AM...is this with a midnight bedtime or a 3 AM bedtime?
Do you take any medications?