FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:17 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Kittens McTavish
Unread post  Post subject: Please tell me it's not the mask!  |  Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:05 am

PAP Mask: F&P Eson 2, Philips Dreamwear
PAP Machine: Philips DreamStation
Humidifier: Philips
Pressure Setting: 9

I've been on CPAP for almost a month; started with the Eson 2 mask, but it was tearing up the bridge of my nose and I didn't like it being yanked about on my face by the hose. Bought a Dreamwear mask and have used it three nights and I LOVE it. Love that I can wear my glasses until I actually lie down. Love the hose coming out the top instead of yanking the mask off my face. Love that the headgear goes around the back so my face oils don't get all over it. Love that it doesn't have any hard plastic parts on your face. Love that it's soft and squishy; when I wake up, I can't even feel that's it's on at first!

So much to love.

BUT - ever since I've been using it, I've had moderate congestion. Sniffled all day yesterday and after I used it the third night, went to wipe my nose and the tissue came away with a little blood.

I'll be so disappointed if my beloved Dreamwear mask is causing this! Can someone offer ideas about what it could be instead?

klm49
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Please tell me it's not the mask!  |  Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:17 am

PAP Mask: Amara View with PadACheek mask pad
PAP Machine: Dream Station APAP
Humidifier: Dream Station Heated Humidifer
Pressure Setting: 17 - 20, EPR=2

Are you using the humidifier? I don't see how the mask could cause this.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Please tell me it's not the mask!  |  Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:35 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

My first thought is that your humidity needs have changed. Doubt it is the mask itself but instead for some reason your nose wants a little more moisture....blood usually means the nasal mucosa has dried a bit and a little scab broke off causing the bleed.

Are you using the heated hose...and if so at what setting for hose air temp and humidity?

If not using the heated hose...what humidity setting?

Where you live has it recently turned cold and you now are using the furnace or some type of heating?

Kittens McTavish
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Please tell me it's not the mask!  |  Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks for your ideas. I think you've hit on it, Pugsy! (May I call you Pugsy?)

It finally got cold here in FL and we've had the heater running for the past few nights. I use a non-heated hose and the humidifier, but I'd taken to only filling it halfway to the maximum line because I noticed it barely used any water. I didn't realize I was able to adjust the humidity setting, but I'll look into it and try that.

THANK YOU SO MUCH; I was so worried it was the new mask, as it coincided with the congestion/blood issue. Dream Wear is "my precious" now!

Sincerely,

Gollum

Tell me is this where I give it all up?
For you, I have to risk it all
Cause the writing's on the wall

Sam Smith

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Please tell me it's not the mask!  |  Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:49 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

100% the need for heated humidification.

Dreamwear is a great mask.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Please tell me it's not the mask!  |  Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:58 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Sounds like humidity is the likely culprit and the furnace being on has probably dried the air a little more than usual.
I have a little gadget on my nightstand to show me the humidity in the bedroom and I just looked at it and it was 24 % lower than it was 2 days ago...2 days ago it was warm outside and no furnace for several days and then that night turned off really cold and I turned the furnace on and it's been running for a couple of days off and on.

When my nasal mucosa get dried out I get some really nasty allergy like symptoms but they aren't allergies...congestion, itchy, runny, sneezing, etc. I get a rude reminder every time I forget to fill the water chamber and it runs dry during the night.

You might also add something like Simply Saline during the day to help the nasal mucosa get back to a more normal hydration level. I use it almost daily.

ShiftWorker
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Please tell me it's not the mask!  |  Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:38 am

PAP Mask: ResMed Air Fit F20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
Humidifier: Integrated
Pressure Setting: 6/15/0/19/25

The Saline sprays and rinses have really helped me. I live in the Denver Co. Metro area and it is dry here! when the weather starts turning cold my sinuses act up like i am having bad allergies, I have taken to using the saline sprays all during my day and use the sinus rinse an hour before going to bed. My sinuses are acting nice and happy.

Kittens McTavish
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Please tell me it's not the mask!  |  Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:13 pm

Oh man, today I woke up with Karl Malden nose! (I can't think of a modern equivalent, sorry.) It's puffy and red; looks like I've been drinking most of my life, and as the day goes on, there's an attractive crusty discharge forming along the edges of my nostrils. Good grief!

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if my humidifier is defective. It is set on adaptive. I put in water to the fill line the first couple of weeks, but it always looked like little or no water had disappeared. I've been filling it only halfway for awhile and it still looks like no water at all is being used.

I'm going to try setting the humidifier on maximum to see if anything changes. I was doing all right, nose-wise, before we turned on the furnace, but looking like Karl Malden (or, even more old-school, W.C. Fields and Jimmy Durante) isn't the way I want to spend the rest of my life.

Tell me is this where I give it all up?
For you, I have to risk it all
Cause the writing's on the wall

Sam Smith