FAQ
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:11 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

ksj4477
Unread post  Post subject: Do I need a BiPAP?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:45 am

How do I know if I need a BiPAP? Is there something in my sleep data that will tell me if I need it? The Dr. has increased my pressures and switched me to an auto mode recently and mentioned that I may need to go to a BiPAP machine. I've been using a CPAP/APAP for a couple months now with poor results, I've contemplated going back to not using it because I slept better before using it. My settings started as a straight 7 pressure, which was determined from my sleep study, but the Dr. increased it to an auto setting of 8-11 and now 11-14 because i'm riding on the higher pressure setting all of the time. She told me that's normal because i'm probably reaching deeper sleep at home and relaxing more so it's taking more pressure to keep my airway open. I use a Repironics machine and I set the C-flex to the highest setting of 3 because I feel like the pressure makes it tough to exhale on lower settings. So does this mean I need a BiPAP? Is it just a comfort thing or will I feel a difference in my sleep if it works for me? Thank you for any advice you can give.

Keith

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do I need a BiPAP?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:20 am

PAP Mask: Quattro
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 11-15

With a pressure of 7, it's unlikely that a bipap would help you. Your C flex setting of 3 alreadty brings your exhale pressure down to 4 which is as low as the machine goes. Higher pressures may require a bipap.

Last edited by LSAT on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ksj4477
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do I need a BiPAP?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:27 am

Thanks for the reply but I'm up to 14 on the pressure now.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do I need a BiPAP?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:52 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Going to bilevel opens up a new world of exhale relief.
not unusual for people with pressure needs in the teens to need additional exhale relief above and beyond what is available with the Flex exhale relief on the cpap/apap machines from Respironics.

CFlex at 3 at most is 2 cm reduction during exhale and for some people that simply isn't enough reduction to offer much comfort.
With bilevel you can have a bigger difference between inhale and exhale and be a lot more comfortable. It feels more natural too.
Worth doing for sure.

ksj4477
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do I need a BiPAP?  |  Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:00 am

Thanks for your reply. More then likely I'll be going bilevel then. I hope I sleep much better with it, I wake up so tired in the mornings.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do I need a BiPAP?  |  Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:27 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Another way to look at it is that an auto bilevel offers you more options.

Whether you end up using them or not initially, at some point you might want the option. The resmed bilevel machines offer a number of settings that control how it 'feels' to get the machine set up so it follows your breathing better. After some experimentation with mine, it feels so natural I barely know it's there.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Karen
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do I need a BiPAP?  |  Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:58 pm

PAP Mask: Amara ViewFFM, Dreamwear nasal, Brevida nasal cushions, Resmed N20 nasal mask
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Humidifier: Built in humidifier
Pressure Setting: Changing- Right now 10-20/6 BIPAP auto

These were all great responses I really appreciate because I have the choice to go on BIPAP as well. Thanks for the forum!

Ms.OwLMooN
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do I need a BiPAP?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:10 am

PAP Mask: Resmed Air Fit F20
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: Low - 12 High - 25

[quote="diamaunt"]Another way to look at it is that an auto bilevel offers you more options.

Whether you end up using them or not initially, at some point you might want the option. The resmed bilevel machines offer a number of settings that control how it 'feels' to get the machine set up so it follows your breathing better. After some experimentation with mine, it feels so natural I barely know it's there.[/quote

When I had my last sleep study back in march my doctor mentioned that she was thinking about bipap also for me in the future.

I'm wondering if it would help me not feel like I'm struggling for air as I'm doing right now?

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do I need a BiPAP?  |  Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:32 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Possibly.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

CobaltSky
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Do I need a BiPAP?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:07 am

PAP Mask: Aitfit P10 or Dreamwear (with a headband over lips)
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Integrated but without climateline hose
Pressure Setting: 9-13

I have been on CPAP since 1993, APAP since 2009. My latest titration sleep study they tried me on BiPAP with a backup rate for a while because I was having centrals. After all those years of CPAP, I simply could not fall asleep. I felt like the machine was cutting out and clipping each breath short before I was ready to exhale. The tech set it for the longest possible interval and I still had the same problem. I am not saying that I wouldn't have been able to get used to it eventually, but just that I had difficulty with it. I'm sure BiPAP without a backup rate would have been enough similar to my normal APAP with EPR that I would have been able to get to sleep.
For me, the point became moot, as a 2LPM O2 bleed in from a concentrator reduces my centrals to <1 per night on average with my normal APAP, and, at least for now, I avoid the BIPAP with backup or ASV, and my average O2 sats went from 89% to 97%.