FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:09 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Coffee119
Unread post  Post subject: Increase or lower pressure?  |  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:09 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed F20; Resmed N20; Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed 10 autoset
Humidifier: Standard
Pressure Setting: 8

Hi all,

I'm using my cpap for 5 weeks now and doing ok with the therapy, i think i get decent sleep, not much leakage, AHI <5, 7-9 hours a night.

I tried pillows but cannot reaaly get adjusted to them, tried P10 and Brevida

I tried nasal N20, but think i keep mouth breathing during the night.

What works best is the full face F20 and i don't really mind the fullface tbh, only problem i have is some irritation on the nose bridge, redness a little sore and seems to be getting pimples there.

So sometimes i wanna switch to the N20 to give the brifge of my nose some rest for two-three days.

My supplier first advised me to set apap tot cpap with a pressure of 7 ( iwas on 8-10 apap), this wasnt helping in not mouth breathing, now they tell me to up the pressure to 9 when i use the nasal mask?

What is happening that i don't really can relax my jawbone cause then air blows into my mouth, my cheeks get blown up, and i cannot really relax cause i'm constant thinking that i have to keep my jaws shut and sticking my tongue behind my upper front teeth.

What do you guys and girls think i should try? They don't really wanna have me to wear a chinstrap or something.

Please some advice

kind regards

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Increase or lower pressure?  |  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:24 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

You can try a double-sided boil and bite mouth guard. Sometimes it just takes a little while to train yourself to keep your mouth closed. If you are comfortable with your FFM, there are disposable or reusable nasal bridge cushions you can try to help with the nasal bridge discomfort.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Increase or lower pressure?  |  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:46 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

I fail to see how increasing the pressure is supposed to help with the mouth breathing when using a nasal cushion mask.
Any reason why they aren't too keen on a chinstrap or something?

What you are describing is what I call chipmunk cheeks.
Air goes up the nose and the tongue has dropped down and opened the back door into the mouth. Lips are closed so the air has no where to go so the cheeks inflate and eventually we open our mouths to relieve the pressure.

I don't know that a chin strap would help chipmunk cheeks because chin straps are designed to help as a gentle reminder to keep that lower jaw from dropping and opening the mouth. You aren't opening your mouth until the chipmunk cheeks cause the need for pressure relief.
I don't see how more pressure is going to fix that issue.

Something to help the tongue to remember to do a better job of keeping that back door open is what is needed and that can be difficult because the tongue gets lazy once we go to sleep.

Coffee119
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Increase or lower pressure?  |  Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:28 pm

so indeed increasing pressure won't really help proberly. I like the N20 too but the mouthbreathing hmmm...I just seem to sleep better with the F20.

I will look into the mouthgaurd. The gecko patches seems very big tbh. Maybe i could try a little piece of thin hydrocoloid on the bridge or something like that.

I have no idea why they against chinstraps, will ask them next time.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Increase or lower pressure?  |  Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:54 pm

PAP Mask: Quattro
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 11-15

I don't get it...If you know you are a mouth breather and you sleep better with the F20 FFmask..put a band aid on your nose and use it. If you want something other that a band aid try this..
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/boomer ... -cpap.html

Coffee119
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Increase or lower pressure?  |  Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks...