Get the best CPAP supplies today with free shipping at CheapCPAPSupplies.com Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Advice I’m new ;)
FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:00 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Sarajd22
Unread post  Post subject: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi there I am new to the cpap world as I have recently found out I have severe apnea. I am going to go with the remed airsense AutoSet 10, and am sorta leaning towards the her. My reason being that the regular one had been waking me up with the air pressure and I was feeling as if it was hard to exhale almost there was so much air flow if this makes sense. I’m wondering your inputs on which machine is best.
Also, I’m looking at a couple different nasal pillows and a nasal mask. Which do you all prefer? I am a side/tummy sleeper. I had read that the resmed Swift, and p10 are great, but also am thinking I’d love the dream ware nasal mask. For one i heard it doesn’t irritate the nostrils and also i love the fact the tubing is on top of head so its out of the way. I’m wondering though if it being silicon on the sides will irritate my face any.
And of course i have Kaiser the platinum plan mind you and it doesn’t over a single penny not happy about this. Any advice. On cheapest/best place to buy from I’m still looking around waiting on my prescription to purchase.
Anyone that has advice it’d be greatly appreciated.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:08 am

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

If you have been using a ResMed machine...do you have the EPR on? That feature is there to help you exhale. Both ResMed Airsense machines have EPR. How long have you been using a CPAP...you indicated that you were "new". What machine are you using now?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:02 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

More information please.

Are you trying a machine now and will be purchasing later? What kind of machine is it?
I think that is what Kaiser does to get people started.

What settings are you using now?
What mask are you using now?

Give me a little bit and I will try to find the cheapest place to get your needed equipment.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:11 am

Best price that I know of for a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her machine is Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Res-Med-AirSense ... d+AirSense

and a little cheaper from this seller
https://www.amazon.com/AirSense-S10-Her ... d+AirSense

You can search Amazon for ResMed AirSense 10 and check out current offers. They will vary a bit.

Now if used would work I might know someone who is trustworthy that might could save you a bit of money.

Will explain the "For Her" stuff later as I am currently using one myself.
I don't think that the difficulties you are experiencing exhaling would not be fixed by the for Her machine though. The special algorithm does not really work that way and doesn't really affect inhale/exhale while awake.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:30 am

For Masks...again check Amazon

The DreamWear with the under the nose cushion
https://www.amazon.com/Respironics-Drea ... =cpap+mask

The DreamWear with the Gel nasal pillows
I couldn't find at the moment but here's the beauty of the DreamWear...the frame works on both so if you get the above package and want to try the gel pillow version all you need is the gel nasal pillow.

Now all the packaging for the DreamWear comes with the medium frame.
I tried this mask and found that I did much better with the small frame.
The small frame is available separately. It depends on head size around where the frame sits.
So just wanted to give you a heads up about that little detail.
If you are a small woman.....might end up doing better with the small frame. It made a world of difference for me.

Those side silicone things....you don't really notice them but do use the soft fleece wraps that come with the package. If you don't you might end up with dents in your cheeks if you have the type of skin that gets dents easily. I do. Even a wrinkle on the pillowcase will give me a little scar.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:44 am

For the P10

https://www.amazon.com/McKesson-Resmed- ... ResMed+P10

I didn't search all the hits from the search but the above is for the regular packaging.
There is a For Her packaging available also.

The pink/gray for Her headgear is a little smaller than the blue regular headgear.

With the regular headgear packaging there are 3 sizes of nasal pillows
Small, Medium and Large
With the for her packaging there are 3 sizes of nasal pillows
XSmall, Small and Medium.

I can wear the blue headgear but it tends to stretch out a bit and over time I can't seem to shrink it enough (hot water wash and rinse to shrink) but the pink headgear hasn't needed shrinking.
So I stick with the pink headgear.

The P10 is my primary mask...I recently did a 3 month trial with the DreamWear Gel pillows and it's a really nice mask but the smallest it comes in is the Small nasal pillows and I really would like to try an XSmall because I still have more mask movement than I would like.
They don't offer an XSmall in the gel pillows...for that reason I have kept the P10 as the primary mask.
I prefer the nasal pillow over the DreamWear cushion...but remember I have been doing this cpap thing for over 8 years now and I have always used a nasal pillow. It just feels weird to use the cushion under the nose...I did try the DreamWear cushion when it was first released.
To me the air blowing on the skin was annoying because it felt like a leak..it wasn't but I was so used to nasal pillows where no air touched my skin that it was hard to get used to the way the cushion air touched the outside of my nostrils.

The P10 venting is superior IMHO...silent and you can't feel it unless you put your hand about an inch away from the vent holes.
The DreamWear venting...not quite so silent and easily felt by bed partner if they are within a couple of feet.

Both are good masks and when it comes to masks we all have very individualized preferences and needs.
What is extremely important to me might not be important to someone else.
For me...I want the least amount of stuff on my face and head as possible. So over the years as the masks have improved and got so they are "less on my face" I have changed to those masks.

The DreamWear isn't really less on the face but that hose on top is pretty sweet and one of the main reasons I ended up trying the mask as long as I did.

You are just going to have to try a mask to see how well you do with one. No other way. Evaluate your own preferences and needs and go from there.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:08 am

Check your private message box. I sent you a PM.

Sarajd22
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi thanks everyone. When I say new I mean I just literally took my machine home last week for my week trial. They gave me the autosense and I’m not exactly sure the setting on it. They said it would automatically adjust and they’re going over my results as I speak :) just waiting on prescription to order. They had me on the regular Resmed Airsense AutoSet with the resmed nasal mask. It was weird I felt like the tube would get caught and I was constantly checking it cuz it would move. As I stated though I am a side/ belly sleeper so that prob doesn’t help. I did like that the mask hose connection swiveled so I was able to swing it up over my head so it wasn’t over top of my chest.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:25 pm

PAP Mask: Simplus
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

The hose lift system will keep the hose out of your way. Many people run their hose over the headboard or design a hook on the wall to hold the hose.... https://www.cpap.com/productpage/arden- ... ystem.html

Sarajd22
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks LSAT I’ll check that out :)

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Download the manual...this one has more stuff in it than the typical user manual that comes with these machines.
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf

Which ResMed nasal mask were you using during the trial?

The hose can get in the way for some people and the hose management thing that LSAT suggested helps a lot of people or you can even make your own fairly easily.

I have never really needed one. I route the hose on the mattress above the bed pillow and I learned to move it as I move. I think in 8 years I only tried to strangle myself twice with the hose.
I did try routing it through my headboard (metal with thingies where the hose could rest and feed through) but I found it a bit annoying so I went back to my old way from years of not having a headboard.

Sarajd22
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:13 pm

Pugsy I like you say only twice you’ve almost strangled yourself in 8 years I did it to myself twice in a week haha. I tried putting it over my head board but it’s big and I went to roll over and yank lol not long enough. The mask I used during my week trial was the fisher and Paykel eson 2 that’s what they gave us.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:19 pm

:lol: If you get the DreamWear...some people have complained about the long hose attaching at the top making things pull on the mask...there is a really nice short hose available that would remedy that situation if it comes up.
It can be use with any mask that you might want a bit more length or flexibility.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/circad ... -tube.html

There are many different ways to manage the hose...DIY to store bought.
Some fancy and some very basic but get the job done.

I have never used the Eson...I don't like anything going across the bridge of my nose.
I have used or tried just about every nasal pillow mask out there.
All have pros and cons and a pro for one person might be a con for another.

Some masks that I found that I liked well enough to use for a period of time...as opposed to a mask that doesn't make it through the night with me. :lol:

ResMed P10...current mask...love the vent and the nothingness of the headgear. Short hose is very flexible and lightweight...don't miss the swivel and in fact never noticed its absence until someone mentioned it.

Respironics DreamWear Gel Pillows...liked it well enough to invest 3 or 4 months with it. My only real gripe with it is the fact that I think I might like an XSmall pillow and they don't make one. Not sure but I would like to at least try it.
I did find that my impression of the stability of the mask improved a lot when I got the Small frame. I don't think I would have continued the trial very long if I hadn't got the small frame.

Respironics DreamWear cushion (under the nose thing)...this was my first DreamWear to try (the gel pillows were only released last April) and I thought it was okay but didn't fall in love with it. Should have made the effort to get the small frame. I might have liked it better if it didn't slide around so much.

The DreamWear cushion and nasal pillows will fit on the one frame...so if you get one you can order just the nose piece thing and use the one frame...save some money and let you try 2 types of masks. Check with me privately before buying...I might have a cushion or pillow...someone is sending a box of unwanted masks and there might be something in it. I know I have a DreamWear cushion of some size right now...but it might be a large which probably wouldn't work if you are a small to medium woman unless you have a really big nose.

ResMed Swift FX nasal pillows...the pillows are very similar to the P10 pillows but the head gear is different. Headgear is probably a little more stable than the P10 and the venting is a bit noisier. Not horribly noisy but compared to the silent P10...noisier.

The ResMed Swift FX Nano...a nasal cushion that goes over the nose similar to the way the Eson went over the nose but with much less material. The headgear for the Swift FX will also work with the Nano cushion.

All the above are masks that I would recommend to a newbie. Easy to use and maintain a good seal.
As to what you might finally prefer...that's where all this stuff comes with a big YMMV sticker. You just have to try something to know if you like it or not. With time and experience you will learn what your own preferences and needs are but it takes time.
Like I learned I don't like anything on the bridge of the nose or weighing down on that area. For that reason I don't even consider those types of masks when I look at something to see if I want to try it.

I have been on cpap 8 plus years now. Tried so many masks that I long ago lost count. I tried them not because I was unhappy with my mask at the time....but because I wanted to experiment and learn about the other masks out there. I always learn something ..even if it is only how much I hate it. :lol:
Most of the time with the nasal pillow masks I learned that I could successfully use many of the choices but then my own personal preferences comes into play. All things being equal my preference for as little on my face and head is going to put a mask that doesn't have much of a foot print to the top of my preference list....hence the P10 as my current mask.

I think that all those above also are fairly easy to find at the secondary market sites like Amazon or EBay since they are popular.
Less popular masks might be a bit harder to find a good cheap price (compared to retail online pricing or DME pricing).

Whatever you decide to get...check with me as to what I might have that might make it so you have 2 masks to try just by adding a different nose piece of some sort. I have some new unused Swift FX nasal pillows...and I think a cushion for the Nano but I don't remember size. I might have a DreamWear nasal piece of some sort too. Like if you get the DreamWear cushion I might have a nasal pillow for it.

If you like as little on your face and head as possible...do move the P10 to the top of the list to try at some point.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:46 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Pugsy wrote:
There are many different ways to manage the hose...DIY to store bought.
Some fancy and some very basic but get the job done.

I have never used the Eson...I don't like anything going across the bridge of my nose.
I have used or tried just about every nasal pillow mask out there.
All have pros and cons and a pro for one person might be a con for another.

ResMed P10...current mask...love the vent and the nothingness of the headgear. Short hose is very flexible and lightweight...don't miss the swivel and in fact never noticed its absence until someone mentioned it.

ResMed Swift FX nasal pillows...the pillows are very similar to the P10 pillows but the head gear is different. Headgear is probably a little more stable than the P10 and the venting is a bit noisier. Not horribly noisy but compared to the silent P10...noisier.

The ResMed Swift FX Nano...a nasal cushion that goes over the nose similar to the way the Eson went over the nose but with much less material. The headgear for the Swift FX will also work with the Nano cushion.

I have a Hose Buddy for my hose management, I really like it. I don't have a headboard and my bed is up against my windows, so I can't attach anything to a wall above me.

I have the Eson 2, I really like it, when I wear a nasal cushion it's my go to mask, until I start to get claustrophobic with the straps, then I switch to a pillow mask. I like the Eson 2 because of the removable, washable filter on it. It makes the mask extremely quiet and practically eliminates the vented air blowing on my arm or pillow. The Swift FX Nano is really comfortable, but because it doesn't have the forehead strap, which is why I like it, it has a tendency to become displaced on me. I like the stability of the Eson 2 over the Nano for that reason.

I also have the Swift FX and the P10. I like the swivel on the Swift and miss it on the P10, it gets kinked sometimes when I turn back and forth a lot. Except for the fact that the headgear is not adjustable on the P10, it isn't that different from the Swift headgears if you separate the straps of the P10 like I do. What I really like about the P10 is that it is a lot more quiet than the FX and it is also more lightweight. The FX has a tendency to pull away from my face sometimes, but the P10 seems to stay in place better.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:55 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

> so I can't attach anything to a wall above me.

Those 3m command hooks are REALLY handy ... of course, if there's curtains in the way, that'd be an issue :D

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Chunkyfrog
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:48 am

PAP Mask: P10
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her
Humidifier: Built-in
Pressure Setting: 9.2-13

Whem the head of my bed is up against windows, I use clothespins to hang scrunchies (or chains of them) to the curtains. Good when traveling.

Sarajd22
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Hey thanks guys you’ve really helped me out a lot with all the advice and great ideas for the tubing. I really appreciate it :)

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:34 pm

diamaunt wrote:
> so I can't attach anything to a wall above me.

Those 3m command hooks are REALLY handy ... of course, if there's curtains in the way, that'd be an issue :D

The blinds are more the issue than the curtains. ;)

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:36 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

OOOH! a challenge... I''ve got a badge clip with a velcro strap that I've used to clip the hose to a variety of things.. including the bedrail when I was in hospital... that *could* do it. :)

'course, you've already solved the problem, so this is purely academic ;)

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Advice I’m new ;)  |  Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:16 pm

diamaunt wrote:
OOOH! a challenge... I''ve got a badge clip with a velcro strap that I've used to clip the hose to a variety of things.. including the bedrail when I was in hospital... that *could* do it. :)

'course, you've already solved the problem, so this is purely academic ;)

You know the easiest DIY solution would probably be to suspend something from the ceiling. :idea: