FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:29 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Author Message
alarsen77
Unread post  Post subject: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:00 am

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 am
Posts: 17
PAP Mask: Resmed Swift FX
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset

Offline
Hi guys my name is Alex. I am new to the forums and am currently not diagnosed with sleep apnea. However my girlfriend (who is a nurse) has said that not only do I snore and keep her up but will stop breathing at night so I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea. I actually have a home sleep study on its way to me from Rested. So I will get that done and get a diagnosis. They then told me after a diagnosis they would prescribe a machine to me and was told at the moment they are sending out either the Dreamstation auto with heated tube and humidifier or the resmed autosense 10 autoset with heated tube and humidifier. They also have a variety of mask types depending on the person. I have a full beard and mustache so I am thinking a nasal pillow type might be best but will have to see.

So essentially out of those two machines I am undecided as to which would be recommended more? The resmed I think would fit better on the space I have by my bed but both would work I'd just have to have the Dreamstation sideways so wouldn't be able to see the screen easily. It seems both are great machines but just curious of the opinions here of people that have used them.

As far as my sleep habbits I tend to be a side sleeper for the most part but am a bit of an active sleeper and will move around at night.


Top
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:16 am
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm
Posts: 617
PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Offline
Get the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.
We don't know what pressure you will end up needing for one thing and I think the exhale relief on the ResMed is superior at the higher pressures if needed.
Also the algorithm tends to be a bit more responsive.
Not to mention you have already noted that the footprint on the night table is a bit smaller.

They are both good machines...full data and all that.
I have used both brands myself and while they are some minor pros and cons with either...none are deal breakers or deal makers but I think for a new person and not knowing the pressures needed or how their OSA will need to be responded to...the ResMed offers a little more pros.


Top
alarsen77
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:42 am

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 am
Posts: 17
PAP Mask: Resmed Swift FX
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset

Offline
Pugsy wrote:
Get the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.
We don't know what pressure you will end up needing for one thing and I think the exhale relief on the ResMed is superior at the higher pressures if needed.
Also the algorithm tends to be a bit more responsive.
Not to mention you have already noted that the footprint on the night table is a bit smaller.

They are both good machines...full data and all that.
I have used both brands myself and while they are some minor pros and cons with either...none are deal breakers or deal makers but I think for a new person and not knowing the pressures needed or how their OSA will need to be responded to...the ResMed offers a little more pros.


That is what I have been reading and also what I was thinking. I just figured I would check here to see what you guys thought. I do like the app for the Dreamstation but it seems the pros for the airsense 10 outweigh that as a deciding factor.

Also another question is I have read that the Dreamstation is quieter than the airsense 10 but that the airsense 10 is still very quiet? If we usually sleep with a stand-up oscillating fan I'm sure the noise of either machine won't bother us?


Top
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:03 am
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm
Posts: 617
PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Offline
I have an AirSense 10 AutoSet...it's pretty much silent. I can't tell it is even on and neither can hubby unless he puts his hand over my mask to feel the vented air.
I have never used the DreamStation model but have used the prior Respironics models and I always thought the Respironics was a little bit more "noisy" in terms of motor noise.

I don't use any sort of white noise either.

That DreamMapper app...pretty lame. You can get the same data on the LCD screen which is really limited. Not worth it IMHO.
Use available software and get all the nitty gritty details.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment
With the ResMed they do offer the MyAir thing so they can send you little emails telling you how good you have been...I don't use it...don't need to at this stage of the game. I don't answer to anyone but myself and prefer it that way.

Download and save this manual. It's the secret manual DMEs don't want patients to have because it tells you all the ultra secret stuff they think we are too stupid to understand. It's better than the user manual that comes with the machine.
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf


Top
alarsen77
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:49 am

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 am
Posts: 17
PAP Mask: Resmed Swift FX
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset

Offline
Pugsy wrote:
I have an AirSense 10 AutoSet...it's pretty much silent. I can't tell it is even on and neither can hubby unless he puts his hand over my mask to feel the vented air.
I have never used the DreamStation model but have used the prior Respironics models and I always thought the Respironics was a little bit more "noisy" in terms of motor noise.

I don't use any sort of white noise either.

That DreamMapper app...pretty lame. You can get the same data on the LCD screen which is really limited. Not worth it IMHO.
Use available software and get all the nitty gritty details.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment
With the ResMed they do offer the MyAir thing so they can send you little emails telling you how good you have been...I don't use it...don't need to at this stage of the game. I don't answer to anyone but myself and prefer it that way.

Download and save this manual. It's the secret manual DMEs don't want patients to have because it tells you all the ultra secret stuff they think we are too stupid to understand. It's better than the user manual that comes with the machine.
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf


Thanks for that. I will take a look at it. The way I am doing this I don't think I will get a titration test so I will most likely have to start somewhere and post graphs here to figure out where I need to be for pressure. But since my insurance is horrible this is the most affordable way for me to do this and hopefully start getting better sleep.


Top
alarsen77
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:23 am

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 am
Posts: 17
PAP Mask: Resmed Swift FX
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset

Offline
I am also going to have to figure out which mask to use. I think I am leaning towards a nasal pillow/cushion style mask as I have a full beard and mustache. I like the Dreamwear mask because the tubing is up top and feel like that would be more comfortable especially for side sleeping. I am also looking at the Resmed P10 as that gets some great reviews as well.


Top
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:23 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm
Posts: 617
PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Offline
I currently use the P10 and have pretty much since it was released except for a recent 3 month trial with the DreamWear Gel nasal pillows.
It was a close toss up as to which would end up being number one on my preference list and the P10 won out mainly because I think that I might do better with the DreamWear pillows in an XSmall size and they don't make one. I was getting more pillow movement than I was happy with using the Small.

I sleep primarily on my side. Either one will work well for side sleeping or even stomach sleeping.

And yes...with facial hair...get a mask that doesn't have to come in close contact with the area of a mask requiring to be sealed...so nasal pillows an excellent choice.

If ordering online consider cpap.com as a source because both of those masks come with free return insurance. That means if you hate it you can return it (30 days from time shipped to you) and get your money back.


Top
alarsen77
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:45 pm

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 am
Posts: 17
PAP Mask: Resmed Swift FX
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset

Offline
Pugsy wrote:
I currently use the P10 and have pretty much since it was released except for a recent 3 month trial with the DreamWear Gel nasal pillows.
It was a close toss up as to which would end up being number one on my preference list and the P10 won out mainly because I think that I might do better with the DreamWear pillows in an XSmall size and they don't make one. I was getting more pillow movement than I was happy with using the Small.

I sleep primarily on my side. Either one will work well for side sleeping or even stomach sleeping.

And yes...with facial hair...get a mask that doesn't have to come in close contact with the area of a mask requiring to be sealed...so nasal pillows an excellent choice.

If ordering online consider cpap.com as a source because both of those masks come with free return insurance. That means if you hate it you can return it (30 days from time shipped to you) and get your money back.


I will not be ordering online. I'm going with a program I found called Rested. They do the in home sleep test and then will send you a machine and a mask so I'll have to see which masks they have available. I was actually thinking about the original dreamwear nasal cushion mask. But then I've read so many good things about the p10 so I am also considering that as well.


Top
cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:34 pm
Posts: 432
Location: Southern California
PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Offline
If you do go with the DreamWear nasal cushion, you can always try the nasal pillows at a later date and only need to get the pillows because they use the same headgear. I have never tried the DreamWear, but I do really like the P10. It is very quiet and very lightweight.


Top
alarsen77
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:20 am

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 am
Posts: 17
PAP Mask: Resmed Swift FX
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset

Offline
cindyY wrote:
If you do go with the DreamWear nasal cushion, you can always try the nasal pillows at a later date and only need to get the pillows because they use the same headgear. I have never tried the DreamWear, but I do really like the P10. It is very quiet and very lightweight.


That is true technically the Dreamwear could be two masks in one. I have read so many good things about the P10 though. I have to say the only thing that is really making me lean towards the Dreamwear is the tubing connecting at the top just seems like it would work better for me but then again I really won't know until I have tried a couple different ones.

Now as far as getting the nasal pillows for the Dreamwear would I need a prescription for that? I see on the full mask I do need a prescription on most of the websites. Is there anywhere to buy these supplies without a prescription?


Top
diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:19 am
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:26 am
Posts: 1751
Location: Dallas(ish)
PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Offline
You only need an rx for a complete mask, not mask parts, it's kinda stupid.

You can buy all the parts for a mask and assemble it yourself.... I've done so many times.

My source of choice for masks/parts/supplies is ebay/amazon.

_________________
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to post:
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur


Top
alarsen77
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:23 am

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 am
Posts: 17
PAP Mask: Resmed Swift FX
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset

Offline
diamaunt wrote:
You only need an rx for a complete mask, not mask parts, it's kinda stupid.

You can buy all the parts for a mask and assemble it yourself.... I've done so many times.

My source of choice for masks/parts/supplies is ebay/amazon.


Great thank you. That is kinda stupid. So on amazon I see full masks for sale there do you need an rx for those there as well? Because for instance the Dreamwear mask I am looking at, just the nasal pillow sections are $24 on amazon but for $59 I can get a full mask fit pack that comes with all 3 of the sizes so I can figure out which works best and then have an extra head gear and frame as well. But not sure if I would need an RX for that on amazon.


Top
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:02 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm
Posts: 617
PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Offline
So far I haven't heard of anyone having to provide a RX for anything bought on Amazon...machines or full mask packages.


Top
alarsen77
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:47 pm

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 am
Posts: 17
PAP Mask: Resmed Swift FX
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset

Offline
Pugsy wrote:
So far I haven't heard of anyone having to provide a RX for anything bought on Amazon...machines or full mask packages.


Ok that is good then I will probably use them for most of my supplies that I need to purchase myself.


Top
alarsen77
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:58 pm

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 am
Posts: 17
PAP Mask: Resmed Swift FX
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset

Offline
Also another question. I see it says to use distilled water for the humidifier. I was wondering can I use the filtered water from my refrigerator or do I have to make sure to buy distilled water?


Top
Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:21 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm
Posts: 617
PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Offline
The reason for the distilled recommendation is that water has mineral content. Some people have water with a lot of minerals (hard water) and some not so much. These minerals can build up on the inside of plastic water chamber. How quickly depends on the mineral content of the water.

Won't really hurt you but it looks yucky. Easily cleaned with vinegar though. You can try the filtered water if you wish and if the water chamber starts getting cloudy you will know that there's enough minerals to build up a residue.
Then decide what you want to do about it. Easily removed if you soak it in a little vinegar and decide if you want to plan for routine vinegar cleaning if needed.

I use distill primarily because where I live the water is really hard and I don't particularly care for the smell of vinegar.
I have used tap water when distilled wasn't available and I get to clean about once a week if I use tap water for very long.


Top
cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:46 pm

Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:34 pm
Posts: 432
Location: Southern California
PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Offline
I have a reverse osmosis filter because I have very hard water so I just use my filtered water. My problem actually comes from washing my humidifier chamber because I get the mineral deposits from my very hard water, so I just dump out the filtered water in the morning and refill it at night. I wash it with vinegar and water every 4 weeks or so. In a pinch, like if you're traveling, you can just use bottled water, but be sure the bottled water doesn't have minerals added to it (usually for flavor).


Top
diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:59 pm
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:26 am
Posts: 1751
Location: Dallas(ish)
PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Offline
alarsen77 wrote:
diamaunt wrote:
You only need an rx for a complete mask, not mask parts, it's kinda stupid.

You can buy all the parts for a mask and assemble it yourself.... I've done so many times.

My source of choice for masks/parts/supplies is ebay/amazon.


Great thank you. That is kinda stupid. So on amazon I see full masks for sale there do you need an rx for those there as well? Because for instance the Dreamwear mask I am looking at, just the nasal pillow sections are $24 on amazon but for $59 I can get a full mask fit pack that comes with all 3 of the sizes so I can figure out which works best and then have an extra head gear and frame as well. But not sure if I would need an RX for that on amazon.

The whole masks, and machines, on amazon are sort of a 'black market'. It's not supposed to happen, but it does... and i've bought masks from there :D (I'm a cpap scofflaw ;))

_________________
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to post:
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur


Top
tjwoody
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:18 am
Posts: 25
Location: The Villages, Fl
PAP Mask: Resmed Airtouch F20, Amara View (primary mask)
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics Dreamstation autoSV
Humidifier: Dreamstation humidifier
Pressure Setting: Max ipap - 28.0, Epap 8.0-15.0, PS 0-20

Offline
The only possible problem I can see with your approach is if you have complex apnea - that's where sometimes your breathing is stopped by obstruction (OSA) and sometimes you stop breathing for no apparent reason (CSA). Complex apnea requires a bilevel machine, which is more complex and much more expensive. Retail>$2k and may not be available on Amazon. If you have complex apnea a titration study is a REALLY good idea, as settings for a bipap machine are a little tricky and not easily figured out by just putting the machine in auto mode.


Top
alarsen77
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questions.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 am
Posts: 17
PAP Mask: Resmed Swift FX
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset

Offline
Thank you guys for all the replies. I got my home sleep study yesterday and used it last night and have to do it once more tonight then send it back. They sent a Resmed Apnealink Air. It was a little weird wearing all of that last night but as long as it will help me sleep better and feel better during the day it is worth it.

I understand an in lab study is probably best with an actual titration study but with my insurance it would cost me a fortune right now and just can't afford it at the moment. I know your health is a priority but I can only do so much right now and this is going to be the best I can do as far as affordability.


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Print view

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  


Delete all board cookies | The team | All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
DAJ Glass 2 template created by Dustin Baccetti