728x90 Scratch It & Reveal Big Saving Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?
FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

JasonInAlaska
  Unread post  Post subject: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:46 pm

PAP Mask: DreamWear by Philips Respironics
PAP Machine: DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine by Philips Respironics
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier & heated hose by Philips Respironics
Pressure Setting: 9-18

I'd like to say I'm all for supporting local businesses, but I'm also not wanting to be duped. I went in on Monday to get setup on a APAP by the sleep clinic that I used. The technician was extremely helpful. Explained the function of the machine. Helped me try on a variety of masks (all of which fit without a problem). Great experience, until I saw the bill. I choked--$300 for the mask, over $3k for the APAP. Total bill came out to just over $4000. I gulped hard and walked out with the equipment and had a great night's sleep.

Today I decided to do a Google search and priced out the same APAP, humidifier, heated hose, and mask for a bit less that $1000. I went back to the clinic to talk to them about that during my lunch break. She tells me that their wholesale cost on just the APAP is over $1k, so she can't see how these sites can offer them for so much less. She also explained that the online dealers don't give you new machines, parts are missing, they don't explain how it works, they don't bill insurance, and they don't monitor your progress. I'm finding it hard to believe that there's $3k worth of service from going through my clinic.

So, are sites like 1800CPAP.com reputable? Is there an advantage to staying loyal to my sleep clinic for my CPAP & supplies? Can I still have my doctor setup to monitor? I'd appreciate hearing your opinions.

I'm looking at $700 out of my pocket to buy through the sleep center before insurance kicks in to cover the rest because my deductible is met. If I buy this from the online store, I could be saving myself $500 or it might just be adding the headache of handling the paperwork (It's an 80/20 split, but I can't remember whether I'm the 80 or the 20)...guess I need to check my policy.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:33 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

JasonInAlaska wrote:
She tells me that their wholesale cost on just the APAP is over $1k, so she can't see how these sites can offer them for so much less. She also explained that the online dealers don't give you new machines, parts are missing, they don't explain how it works, they don't bill insurance, and they don't monitor your progress.

the *only* part of the above that isn't a bold faced lie is the "they don't bill insurance and don't monitor your progress".

JasonInAlaska wrote:
So, are sites like 1800CPAP.com reputable? Is there an advantage to staying loyal to my sleep clinic for my CPAP & supplies? Can I still have my doctor setup to monitor? I'd appreciate hearing your opinions.

yes, they are.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Zathras1974
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:36 pm

PAP Mask: SleepWeaver Anew Full Face
PAP Machine: 3B Medical RESmart AutoPAP
Humidifier: RESmart Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 6-16 cmH2O

JasonInAlaska wrote:
She tells me that their wholesale cost on just the APAP is over $1k, so she can't see how these sites can offer them for so much less.

Then she is obviously one of the very few who doesn't understand how online vs brick and mortar works. Not a good foot to start off on. =/ Almost all online retailers operate on the high-volume, low-overhead concept.

JasonInAlaska wrote:
She also explained that the online dealers don't give you new machines, parts are missing, they don't explain how it works...

JasonInAlaska wrote:

Yes, No, and Yes. :)

JasonInAlaska wrote:
I'm looking at $700 out of my pocket to buy through the sleep center before insurance kicks in to cover the rest because my deductible is met. If I buy this from the online store, I could be saving myself $500 or it might just be adding the headache of handling the paperwork (It's an 80/20 split, but I can't remember whether I'm the 80 or the 20)...guess I need to check my policy.

You don't need to check the policy. I'll tell you right now that you are the 20%. Without a doubt. There would be no point to holding a policy if the insured had to take 80% of the costs on the chin.

-Red Dwarf: "Polymorph"

Jambro
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:49 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear
PAP Machine: REMStar Auto (System One 60 Series)
Humidifier: Humidifier attachment for the REMStar
Pressure Setting: APAP 4-11 (Averaging around 4.81)

I started out getting a quote from a DME. Close to $5000 they would charge the insurance over the next 12 months. Well I have at least 10% of that and a $1000 deductible. When I checked cpap.com and found the Resperonics REMstar Auto System One 60 series with humidifier and heated hose for less than $500 I had my doctor send the prescription to them. It was brand new in the original box, not used, not missing any parts. I literally plugged it in added water and my mask and went to sleep. The one the DME was going to send me home with is about $1000 on cpap.com, so I assume that the other $4000 is for the DME to check up on you and fit your mask. Just seemed pretty stupid when I could pay cash. This forum and TheLankyLeft's mask reviews on youtube helped me get going in the right direction.

Linda
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:24 pm

PAP Mask: Nuance pro, wisp
PAP Machine: Resmed air sense 10 autoset
Humidifier: Heated hose Resmed
Pressure Setting: 6

Not all DME give you new equipment for Medicare. I found out they can give you a machine that has been returned for noncompliance. Let the buyer beware

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:14 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

JasonInAlaska wrote:
She tells me that their wholesale cost on just the APAP is over $1k, so she can't see how these sites can offer them for so much less. She also explained that the online dealers don't give you new machines, parts are missing, they don't explain how it works, they don't bill insurance, and they don't monitor your progress.
Complete poo..... Wholesale on them is $200-300. This was on the S9 and Philips Respironics System one when they were the "NEWEST" models. I would imagine the Dreamstation and AirSense 10 are slightly more as the new kids on the block. Maybe $50-100 range more wholesale.

They are new machines and parts aren't missing.

Several are reputable: thecpapshop.com, cpap.com, directhomemedical.com are among them. 1800CPAP I get a smarm feeling from. They do a "free" home sleep test (if found positive for apnea) and wait for it......what do you know, you have sleep apnea. Now you can apply the cost of the test to your new equipment. Conflict of interest.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

chilicooker
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:04 pm

I found an outfit that sells on craigslist (nationwide I guess) called The CPAP Store. They do not have a website but work through PayPal. For a Dreamstation Auto Cpap with heated tube, and shipping, $545. I got him to meet the Amazon price for the Dreamwear headpiece at 58.00.

Has anyone dealt with them? Are they legit? He's sending me an email with all the info. Need one quickly

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:48 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

PM Grayghost4, he might be able to beat the prices, and he's legit.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Silent Snootch
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 am

PAP Mask: Philips Respironics DreamWear
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics DreamStation
Humidifier: See Above - Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 12 cmH20

I have been diagnosed and now I am trying to start therapy. My doctor said they have "faxed" the order to two different companies now, and I contacted Jason's recommendation of CheapCPAPSupplies.com and I have not heard one word from any of them. Going on 3 weeks now. Did it take this long for anyone else to get a response? I'm not sure where else I can go that would handle insurance and not just be out of pocket. I also am not sure if I should be calling and complaining to my doctor, or if I should be calling these companies? I mean, if the Doctor said that they faxed the order through, would being upset at them solve anything? Having them fax the order again just seems like more of a waste of time.

Signed,
Frustrated. :x

dreamingofdreaming
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:56 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear nasal mask
PAP Machine: Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: APAP 10/17

Silent Snootch, if you want to use your health insurance, you need to find out what DME's are in network with your insurance company and use one of them. If you use a company that is not "in network" with your health insurance company, but will bill them, you usually have a higher "out of network" deductible. I had a nightmare trying to deal with my insurance company's DME and waited several weeks. I have a huge deductible ( $2500), so I knew that I was going to be paying out of pocket for my stuff. However, I went "in network" so at least what I have to pay will go towards my deductible in case I need it.

WanderLit
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:35 pm

PAP Mask: Dreamwear nasal cushion
PAP Machine: AirSense 10 ForHer
Humidifier: built-in
Pressure Setting: 8 cc H2O

TheLankyLefty wrote:
Several are reputable: thecpapshop.com, cpap.com, directhomemedical.com are among them. 1800CPAP I get a smarm feeling from. They do a "free" home sleep test (if found positive for apnea) and wait for it......what do you know, you have sleep apnea. Now you can apply the cost of the test to your new equipment. Conflict of interest.

Have you had any opportunity to form an opinion on "EasyBreathe" as an online provider? https://www.easybreathe.com?

~Eve Ensler

Daniel Gagner
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:55 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics Dreamwear nasal
PAP Machine: Respironics Dreamstation 500
Humidifier: respironics
Pressure Setting: 9=13

Many of us here have machines purchased online and mine from a vendor on Amazon. They're new and work just like the one they'll sell you. My complete respironics setup cost about $550. It's new, the latest model, and an apap that works for me. Other brands are out there for a similar cost.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:09 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Silent Snootch--- call your doctor's office to get the info and contact numbers for the DME(s) that they faxed the order to. I had to call my doctor's office a couple of times asking about my supplies so they gave me the number so I could call my DME directly to inquire. And yes, it took a good 4 weeks to get my equipment.

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:48 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

Silent Snootch wrote:
My doctor said they have "faxed" the order to two different companies now, and I contacted Jason's recommendation of CheapCPAPSupplies.com and I have not heard one word from any of them.
I got ahold of my contact at cheapcpapsupplies, so hopefully they reached out to you today to resolve the issue.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

Silent Snootch
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:21 pm

PAP Mask: Philips Respironics DreamWear
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics DreamStation
Humidifier: See Above - Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 12 cmH20

TheLankyLefty wrote:
Silent Snootch wrote:
My doctor said they have "faxed" the order to two different companies now, and I contacted Jason's recommendation of CheapCPAPSupplies.com and I have not heard one word from any of them.
I got ahold of my contact at cheapcpapsupplies, so hopefully they reached out to you today to resolve the issue.

They have. Thank you for the assist.

dianemarie
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Where to buy equipment--online or through sleep center?  |  Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:54 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed F20
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Humidifier: Resmed
Pressure Setting: 6 - 13

I went through my EOBS from last year and added up what I paid them for 6 months of machine rental and supplies. I had about $400 of my deductible left and then I was paying 30%. What I paid Apria in the deductible and 30% charges was almost exactly what I would've paid to buy everything outright from Amazon, maybe a $10 difference.