FAQ
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

jmltapp1971
Unread post  Post subject: Silicone does it soften when heated?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:51 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics Sleepwear nose mask
PAP Machine: Resmed 10 Auto
Humidifier: Resmed HME
Pressure Setting: 6-20 machine set to Auto with no ramp

So i tried the nasal pillows for the dreamwear and have to say it fits nicely, maybe a little less comfortable than the cushion but i could move around with a leak starting so thought it was an improvement for someone like me who moves around alot - read as pushed around in bed by a beagle and a chihuahua allnight!

But i notice late in the night the sound of air escaping, and went to reposition the nosepiece and just like the cushion it seems so pliable that it wont sit still anymore, and feels like its not as rigid. Could the air temperature from the heated hose and my breathing be warming it up enough for it to just be more malleable? Otherwise great night still get irritation to my nose to be able to go to sleep without constantly adjusting the mask was a great improvement.

Thanks

MikeBear
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Silicone does it soften when heated?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:54 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed Airfit P10
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Pressure Setting: Apap mode Min 10.0 CmH20, Max 13 CmH20 EPR = 2 at present

I changed to the large pillow to fix this instead of the medium I was using, if you are talking about the Gel Pillow cushion for the Dreamwear mask.

jmltapp1971
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Silicone does it soften when heated?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:58 pm

Yeah, the trouble is im guess the nasal cannulas get bigger with each size and they just about fit now with the medium as i had to move up from the small due to not getting enough air. It seems fine until ive been using it for several hours.

MikeBear
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Silicone does it soften when heated?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:03 pm

If it's too small, it'll shift over on the rim of your nostrils, and actually try to go up into your nostrils and leak.

I had that issue, that's why I switched to the large size.

jmltapp1971
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Silicone does it soften when heated?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:41 pm

The thing is and unless im misunderstanding you it fits perfectly most of the night, but by about 5 hours in its suddenly not sitting still at all. Even the cushion does this after a number of hours in use each night. its like it becomes way soft and doesnt hold its shape. Next nights it back to normal.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Silicone does it soften when heated?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:08 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

jmltapp1971 wrote:
like the cushion it seems so pliable that it wont sit still anymore, and feels like its not as rigid. Could the air temperature from the heated hose and my breathing be warming it up enough for it to just be more malleable?
Thanks

No, not really, Silicone is a cured 'rubber' compound. It's good up to around 550 degrees F... which is why bakers love silicone baking mats, and cooks love silicone spatulas and such... it won't melt at high heat like plastic will.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

jmltapp1971
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Silicone does it soften when heated?  |  Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:42 am

Not sure what to think then. Maybe in my half asleep state im just incapable of sticking pillows up my nose then :) I dont know.

MikeBear
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Silicone does it soften when heated?  |  Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:07 am

jmltapp1971 wrote:
Not sure what to think then. Maybe in my half asleep state im just incapable of sticking pillows up my nose then :) I dont know.

Believe it or not, your (our) head(s) shrink during the night due to water lose. The mask I'm using right now has the same issue. My head shrinks by early morning, and the fixed headgear is looser.

jmltapp1971
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Silicone does it soften when heated?  |  Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:31 am

That doesnt surprise me and i wonder if the headgear is half there doesnt seem to be much leeway between tight and just right - At the moment i tuck it under my 'wild' hair at the back but it moves alot and by morning i think the pressure of my head against the pillow is all that holds it on.