Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!
FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Ms.OwLMooN
Unread post  Post subject: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:33 am

PAP Mask: I now have the Resmed Air Fit F20
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Humidifier: Resmed S9 Series H5i Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: Low is 16 and High is 20

There are always problems!

I go from one problem with the mask and there's always something else keeping me from sleeping with it like I should be.

Because I have a lot of anxiety about it I can only wear the mask a couple hours maybe once or twice per week.
I tried the mask again last night but this time I just couldn't relax. When I put the mask on I always have to move it around on my face. My nose will constantly itch and so I have to repeatedly take the mask off to rub my nose. Then I have to put a tissue on the left side of the mask on my cheek to stop it from making that farting sound but then my nose starts itching again and have to take the mask off again!

I've tried different mask liners they give me anxiety too! They just don't fit right and I'm shuffling the mask around my face even more to get them in place so the tissue is less of a hassle.

So anyway even with the tissue and along with my nose itching I get so much anxiety I take it off and eventually go to sleep without the mask on.

Sometimes I just make excuses not to even put it on and just go to sleep without it.

Lately I've been having terrible memory problems during the day. I call them "Memory Black Outs" I put something down that was in my hand like keys or a medicine bottle or anything small and I forget where I put the item. I'm doing this now sometimes 4 to five times a day.

With this now and the depression, difficulty concentrating, moodyness, and anxiety, when is all this going to end?

I'm also worried about brain damage because I've been struggling with not sleeping for 5 years now!

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:05 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

> when is all this going to end?

When you actually start using the machine *all night, every night*.

Get a different mask.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:19 am

PAP Mask: Quattro
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 11-15

Ms.OwLMooN wrote:
There are always problems!

Lately I've been having terrible memory problems during the day. I call them "Memory Black Outs" I put something down that was in my hand like keys or a medicine bottle or anything small and I forget where I put the item. I'm doing this now sometimes 4 to five times a day.

With this now and the depression, difficulty concentrating, moodyness, and anxiety, when is all this going to end?

I'm also worried about brain damage because I've been struggling with not sleeping for 5 years now!

I think with all these problems, you would force yourself to use it. Using your machine may not correct all these concerns, but it certainly will help with some. I notice that you joined this board 2 years ago....I think it's about time you faced the fact that your quality of life depends on CPAP use. Quit looking for excuses.

Daniel Gagner
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:39 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics Dreamwear nasal
PAP Machine: Respironics Dreamstation 500
Humidifier: respironics
Pressure Setting: 6-12

Disclaimer.... I'm no expert, far from it. Just my 2 cents.

I've not been on my apap machine for that long but could some of your issues be solved by cutting down your pressure a bit? I'd be going nuts if mine were that high. Then again. It's different for all people and I'm not that up on anything but my own settings. Mine is set in apap mode with pressures of 9.5 and 13. I notice a huge comfort difference between a setting of 9 and upping it to 10. Granted I'm just using a nasal mask.

Secondly. I had severe apnea that was diagnosed back in the early 90's before it was a thing. Then I had an operation which alleviated the severe symptoms and have been on a machine for a short time now to finish the job. Anyway, I attribute short term memory loss for certain things to the years I had untreated apnea. The way I realized it the most was that, as a teacher, I used to learn all the names of my roughly 130 kids in about a week just by calling on them over that time. After awhile I had to devise seating plans using their pictures so that I could call them by their right names. What used to take two weeks stretched to three months. And I was fairly young then.

Ms.OwLMooN
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:46 pm

LSAT wrote:
[I think with all these problems, you would force yourself to use it. Using your machine may not correct all these concerns, but it certainly will help with some. I notice that you joined this board 2 years ago....I think it's about time you faced the fact that your quality of life depends on CPAP use. Quit looking for excuses.

Anxiety attacks are not in anyway simply just an excuse.

I know now that I really shouldn't have posted the subject to be of Hate and I will edit that.

I've joined this forum looking for positive advice and I've received lots and have taken the advice and tried what I was told to do.

I'm wondering if you've my previous posts about how I am trying and I've also succeeded with taking advice here.

So if you haven't read my previous posts on some of my accomplishments with help from this forum then I suggest that you do!

Ms.OwLMooN
Unread post  Post subject: This Was The "I Hate It" One  |  Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:46 pm

LSAT wrote:
[I think with all these problems, you would force yourself to use it. Using your machine may not correct all these concerns, but it certainly will help with some. I notice that you joined this board 2 years ago....I think it's about time you faced the fact that your quality of life depends on CPAP use. Quit looking for excuses.

Anxiety attacks are not in anyway simply just an excuse!

I know now that I really shouldn't have posted the subject to be of Hate and I will edit that.

I've joined this forum looking for positive advice and I've received lots and have taken the advice and tried what I was told to do.

I'm wondering if you've read my previous posts about how I am trying and I've also succeeded with taking advice here?

If you have read them then I would like to add that in my opinion positive support is taken better than what simply sounds like a scolding!

So if you haven't read my previous posts on some of my accomplishments with help from this forum then I suggest that you do.

Kittens McTavish
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 pm

PAP Mask: F&P Eson 2
PAP Machine: Philips DreamStation
Humidifier: Philips
Pressure Setting: 9

I've only been a user for 3 weeks, but I'll share what I was told when I went to pick up my equipment.

You have to view this like learning to wear glasses. They're uncomfortable and weird the first time you put them on, but if you can understand and see and feel a benefit to them, you'll be motivated to get used to them. After awhile, if they fit properly, you won't even notice them anymore.

I liken the CPAP to a lot of things I've had to get used to that I didn't like or even hated at first. Braces. Glasses. An electronic toothbrush. A bidet. All of those things took getting used to, but all have been beneficial and I appreciate them. I felt the benefits of CPAP within the first few days. I'm still getting used to it, but I'm adjusting and I'm fitting the routine into my life because I want to feel better. I want the brain fog to lift, to feel energetic again, to make it through even just one day without dozing off when I could be doing something productive or fun.

My sleep tech said this when I went for my second test: "I have a CPAP and have used it for years. If you put a pile of gold in one hand and my CPAP in the other, I would choose the CPAP every time."

Jazzncats
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:58 am

I have had anxiety for years. Be so very grateful that this forum exists and that you, indeed, are not alone and many, many people use CPAP. My husband started using CPAP over 10 years (maybe 15) and forums like this didn't exist. He was handed a nasal pillow mask and used it for years. We are so fortunate that we have a simple proven method to deal with this serious sleep issue--so very many masks are now manufactured in every imaginable configuration! I hate to be graphic, but using the mask sure beats dying in your sleep. Truly!

My husband was astonished at how fast I got used to my DreamWear mask. I usually don't like ANYTHING on my head and so close to my nose. Freako! Now, I don't feel relaxed unless I'm using it. I started in August and am a believer for life!

YOU CAN DO THIS!

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:52 am

PAP Mask: F&P Simplus
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Pressure Setting: 12 to 20 cmH2O

Kittens McTavish wrote:
My sleep tech said this when I went for my second test: "I have a CPAP and have used it for years. If you put a pile of gold in one hand and my CPAP in the other, I would choose the CPAP every time."

Why not take the gold and then use a sliver of it to buy a CPAP? :lol:

Seriously though, I am in love with my CPAP. I had forgotten what it was like to feel normal. I feel so peaceful now

The only thing I hate about it is that it's tough to get a good seal where the air isn't shooting into your eyes, and sometimes I have to put the mask so tight to prevent this that it puts pressure on my eye and lower eyelid that's really uncomfortable causes further discomfort even throughout the day.

But these are small issues compared to having my life back.

RicaLynn
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10
PAP Machine: S9 AutoSet for Her
Pressure Setting: Auto, 6-9

Daniel Gagner wrote:
Disclaimer.... I'm no expert, far from it. Just my 2 cents.

I've not been on my apap machine for that long but could some of your issues be solved by cutting down your pressure a bit? I'd be going nuts if mine were that high. Then again. It's different for all people and I'm not that up on anything but my own settings.

The difficulty is that higher pressure does not correlate with high AHI. There are folks with severe apnea, AHI upwards of 60, who only need 6cmH2O to control their apnea; conversely there are individuals with mild apnea who need 16cm+ to keep their airway clear. It IS possible that the OP's pressure settings are not optimal for her treatment, but that would require that her data be investigated further

Sleep2snore
Unread post  Post subject: Re: This Was The "I Hate It" One  |  Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:45 pm

PAP Mask: Nasal Pillows - Swift FX
PAP Machine: Remstar Airsense 10 Autoset / Remstar Auto Cflex APAP as back up!
Humidifier: Also F&P stand alone (Used with back-up machine).
Pressure Setting: 10 - 20

Ms.OwLMooN wrote:

Anxiety attacks are not in anyway simply just an excuse!

No, they can be a bit distressing and can feel and be very real.
Thank goodness I do not have anxiety over CPAP!
However, I can appreciate just how this can affect you.
Do you get anxiety about using the CPAP machine?

If it is you can lower it by sitting with the mask on with no machine connected.
Then move on to sitting with it on while reading or watching TV.
Small steps can lower it, even if it is just small steps at a time.
Also, when you do go to bed, let your breathing settle right down before you put on the mask.
Have the mask ready to go on, then when breathing settles, put it on, when ready lay down quietly.
Start machine and take small shallow breathes to start with until you get used to the pressure.

This will help in the end, I have helped a few get over this in the past.
I know the panic anxiety can cause, but everyone eventually managed to use the CPAP, it took a while, but they all got there including one lady I didn't give much hope for. We got her anxiety down by firstly just letting her hold the mask, then letting her push it against her head until she was comfortable.
Then we went on to fitting the mask (had to stop a lot, but we got there) for only a minute, then slowly working up time with the mask on.
After she kept it on for a couple of days, we connected the machine with LOW pressure, then every day put it up a little.
She needed a high 18 and was quite a big lady, but she got there and since has used the machine every night.
Because she got her energy levels bach after a while, she went on to loose some weight, mostly by walking small distances and slowly going further.
She has a long way to go, but I was told she was down to 16 in pressure now due to loosing some weight.

Chunkyfrog
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:58 pm

PAP Mask: P10
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her
Humidifier: Built-in
Pressure Setting: 9.2-13

Agreed, S2S.
Anxiety, stress, panic, PTSD--cpap works, and WITHOUT drugs.
It is well worth the effort to work through negative feelings and use this amazing tool. None of the "alternatives" come even close--some are worse than useless.

Sleepycycler
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 am

PAP Mask: Amara
PAP Machine: Dreamstation apap
Humidifier: Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: 5 to 10 cmH20

Hi!
I've only been a cpap user for three months. It has changed my life. I don't feel the desperate need to constantly want to take a nap. Also problems that would have set me over the edge are merely annoyances now.
I have figured out some tips since starting cpap. I always wash my face before bed especially around where my mask fits. I also make sure that my nasal hair is short ( that sounds funny when you type it out) it keeps those little annoying hairs that flutter when you are on your machine at bay. That keeps the nose itchiness away. Works for me!

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Ms. OwLMooN, I don't remember why you need the FFM, I think we discussed it in an older post, but if it's the mask giving you the anxiety, I would recommend using either a nasal cushion or nasal pillow. Even if you end up mouth breathing part of the night, if you can wear your mask all night every night you'll be getting more treatment than you are right now. Just a thought.

kaiasgram
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:21 pm

PAP Mask: Aloha nasal pillow w/ ResMed chinstrap
PAP Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto Bilevel
Humidifier: h5i humidifier

Mrs. OwlMoon, I have been on CPAP for over five years and I still hate it. But I did get used to it and I've used it consistently the whole time.

How I got used to it: First, I quickly ditched the nasal (over-the-nose) mask that the sleep tech gave me and found I could tolerate a nasal pillow mask more easily. Then I wore the nasal mask around during the day (at home, of course, and not attached to the machine) to see if I left it on long enough, would I at some point forget I was wearing it -- and this worked, though it took some time. Get into a good TV show or something that takes your attention away from how the mask feels.

Once you're desensitized enough, you should be able to sleep more easily with the mask. But it does take time and practice.

I haven't kept up with your previous posts, so hopefully I'm not just repeating old advice. As for anxiety, I understand that it's real and can make otherwise easy tasks much more challenging. I have empathy for your struggle and I hope you can find a way to not let the anxiety interfere with the adjustment to CPAP.

Chunkyfrog
Unread post  Post subject: Re: I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!  |  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:58 pm

PAP Mask: P10
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her
Humidifier: Built-in
Pressure Setting: 9.2-13

I second the idea of going with a less intrusive mask (nasal pillows).
Full face masks should always be the PATIENT'S choice--not the provider, or salesperson.
Yes, MY OPINION, but I like it.
Mouth breathing can diminish or disappear entirely once good therapy is achieved.
It is worth giving it a try--and the patient a fair chance to succeed.