Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Leak Rate and Flow Rate Questions
FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:23 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

ariayde16
Unread post  Post subject: Leak Rate and Flow Rate Questions  |  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:06 am

PAP Mask: Philips Dreamwear Gel Nasal Pillows
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation
Humidifier: Normal Humidifier that comes with the Philips Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: 9 cm of water pressure

HI, I'm Ali Riayde Jawad and I've been on CPAP therapy for over a year. I'm doing quite well with my recovery from severe OSA. I just wanted to ask some questions about how to interpret the data from my CPAP machine using OSCAR. Here are the questions in no particular order:

1. About leak rates: On OSCAR (a huge improvement from sleepyhead by the way), It says I have been having an average leak rate of 4.83 over the last year and I want to know if that is a good or bad number. In-fact, it would be great if I could know what's a bad value and what is a good leak rate value to indicate effective therapy?

2. About daily leak rates, OSCAR says, 'Your average leaks were 2.42 L/min, which is over your 7 day average of 2.19.'. Once again, are these values good or bad?

3. Please look at the screenshot attached to see the data I'm referring to for this question. For this question, most of my leak rate data on a day to day basis looks like what you see in the screenshot. Should I be worried about the leak rate being shown in the attached screenshot?

4. Also, it there any definitive way to know if I am mouth-breathing during my sleep. Like can OSCAR or my machine's leak rate data tell me if something is wrong and that I am most probably mouth breathing?

5. How good or bad does my flow rate data look like? I heard Lankylefty mention that as long as you can draw a horizontal straight line across the graph, it's good data. What does that mean exactly and should I just ignore the flow rate and strictly focus on AHI numbers and leak rate numbers? Like look at the attached screenshot for example. is this a bad night because It is not exactly easy to draw a straight horizontal line across the flow rate?

Anyways, I am done for now. Please feel free to answer and thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Attachments:
File comment: Reference screenshot number one for question five.
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 5.24.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 5.24.06 PM.png [ 352.63 KiB | Viewed 162 times ]
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 5.03.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 5.03.56 PM.png [ 329.55 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]
File comment: Just more data should it be deemed necessary.
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 4.54.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 4.54.38 PM.png [ 342.58 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]
File comment: My average data over the long term.
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 4.37.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 4.37.06 PM.png [ 338.85 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]
File comment: This is the reference screenshot from OSCAR for question number three.
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 4.37.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 4.37.33 PM.png [ 346.59 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]
diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Leak Rate and Flow Rate Questions  |  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:51 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

As long as your machine isn't flagging Large Leaks, then the leak rate is *good enough* that the machine doesn't care.

As long as you're not being waked up by leaks, then those two things are all that really matter.

ariayde16
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Leak Rate and Flow Rate Questions  |  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:01 am

PAP Mask: Philips Dreamwear Gel Nasal Pillows
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation
Humidifier: Normal Humidifier that comes with the Philips Dreamstation
Pressure Setting: 9 cm of water pressure

Thanks, I suspected the same as what you have said. Cheers for looking into this.