Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Tear duct flapping
FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:10 am

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

sjbowlen
Unread post  Post subject: Tear duct flapping  |  Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:06 pm

PAP Mask: Swift FX Nano
PAP Machine: dream station
Humidifier: heated
Pressure Setting: 10

My sister has recently returned to using her CPAP. All 5 of us (2 gals and 3 guys) in my sibling group use a CPAP. Sis has been most reluctant. Finally, she admitted that one of her challenges is that air comes up through her left tear duct and causes " flapping" which she finds irritating. I admit, this is new to me. I am not sure why this would be and I told her I would check the forum for help. I have also encouraged her to use Sleepyhead and join the forum. Have any of you had this issue? Any ideas how she might solve this?

mbushnoe
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tear duct flapping  |  Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:53 am

The obvious question here is what mask is she using?

Try playing around with different masks and different sizes and adjustments. It's not uncommon. Keep in mind, most companies design 3 different sizes for thousands of different face shapes and sizes, and you gotta find what suits you best!

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tear duct flapping  |  Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:09 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

She needs to be talking to her doctor about this problem.
For some reason the duct from the nasal passageway to the eye isn't staying shut like it should be. Uncommon for this to happen but I have heard of it before.
Might need to see an eye doctor and discus maybe some ductal plugs.

sjbowlen
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tear duct flapping  |  Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:38 pm

PAP Mask: Swift FX Nano
PAP Machine: dream station
Humidifier: heated
Pressure Setting: 10

Thanks. The duct plugs will be necessary, I am afraid. Apparently, more folks have this problem than like to talk about it.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tear duct flapping  |  Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:45 pm

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

I figured as much. While not extremely common...not all that rare either.
From what I have read from people who do the plugs...not that much of a big deal but some people will try to use it as an excuse to blow off using the cpap machine.

mbushnoe
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Tear duct flapping  |  Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:26 pm

I totally misread the OP, and assumed you meant mask leak around the eyes. Sorry about that. Glad Pugsy is more well-read than I. :lol: