Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Why the hell is this happening?
FAQ
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:47 am

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above.Thank you so much for your support!

LEO38
Unread post  Post subject: Why the hell is this happening?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:45 am

Hi all,

I am new to this forum but, have been on CPAP for a little over than a year. I am a 38 year old male. My diagnosting and titration sleep studies revealed only severe obstructive apnea (AHI = 52) and my prescribed pressure is 7 mbar. I am using airsense 10 in APAP mode (pressure between 4-7.2). The 6 month averages for my obstructive apnea index and CA index are 4.52 and 2.87, respectively. However, for about a month I have seen an increase, with a weird pattern, in my device reported centrals. Specifically, because of our baby I have to wake up once or twice during the night. Until about 4 am when I wake up for the baby, my CA index is usually less than 3, but when I go to sleep again after 4, till the morning (usually 7:30) I see I get many centrals (CA index becomes 8 or so). I know the device is not as accurate as the real sleep study and I sometimes realize it even mistakenly records centrals at times when I am awake, but still seeing centrals this high makes me worried. I attach some screen shots from the last night. I am going to see my doctor in a month but I really appreciate your opinions as well. Thanks!

Attachments:
leo38_5.jpg
leo38_5.jpg [ 301.02 KiB | Viewed 1533 times ]
leo38_4.jpg
leo38_4.jpg [ 302.85 KiB | Viewed 1533 times ]
leo38_3.jpg
leo38_3.jpg [ 296.62 KiB | Viewed 1533 times ]
leo38_2.jpg
leo38_2.jpg [ 296.12 KiB | Viewed 1533 times ]
leo38_1.jpg
leo38_1.jpg [ 302.11 KiB | Viewed 1533 times ]
TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why the hell is this happening?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:40 am
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

IF you have EPR turned on, then I would turn it off.

This alone may take care of that. The other thing is that this is occurring at the very end of the night. This is a somewhat normal phenomenon where sleep looks good throughout most of the night and then can just fall apart just prior to awakening for the morning. It doesn't happen in everyone like this, but it happens enough that it's definitely a "thing."

Your pressure doesn't seem crazy at all, so I wouldn't expect that to be a problem either. I don't see your EPR value, but I suspect that is where the problem is.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

CrookedRiver
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why the hell is this happening?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:25 am

PAP Mask: Mirage FX
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Humidifier: [integrated]
Pressure Setting: 6-9

TheLankyLefty wrote:

Could you elaborate, please?

LEO38
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why the hell is this happening?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks. The EPR is set at 1 and in the "ramp only" mode. Do you think it would be of any help if I completely turned the EPR off? I have also observed that I usually have less CAs of this kind when I sleep through the night without interruption.

Also, can you tell from the screen shots whether the CAs toward the end of the sleep appear to be real or they are a result of my moving while sleeping?

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why the hell is this happening?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:42 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

CrookedRiver wrote:
TheLankyLefty wrote:

Could you elaborate, please?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3151&p=20157&hilit=+epr+central%2A+ventilation#p20157

CrookedRiver
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why the hell is this happening?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:59 pm

PAP Mask: Mirage FX
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Humidifier: [integrated]
Pressure Setting: 6-9

diamaunt wrote:
http://freecpapadvice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3151&p=20157&hilit=+epr+central%2A+ventilation#p20157

Thanks diamaunt - interesting!

Sorry to divert the thread, but I need to throw out this:

I'm struggling to understand my own situation (crappy sleep despite low AHI after starting with the CPAP. CA in the range of 50%-60%). Doctors haven't been of much help, they just look at the total AHI and pat me on the shoulder. I never considered that also low CO2 levels might be a factor, so this idea might be far out: Is it possible to "get used to" high CO2-levels (through my years of undiagnosed apnea), so that my assumed current reduced levels now make it difficult for me to rest?

My EPR-setting is 3 - it sounded like a good idea to me. I will start reducing it gradually now.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why the hell is this happening?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:11 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

CrookedRiver wrote:
CA in the range of 50%-60%).

Sorry, that's meaningless. That could be 1 a night, or hundreds.

LEO38
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why the hell is this happening?  |  Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 am

TheLankyLefty wrote:

This alone may take care of that. The other thing is that this is occurring at the very end of the night. This is a somewhat normal phenomenon where sleep looks good throughout most of the night and then can just fall apart just prior to awakening for the morning. It doesn't happen in everyone like this, but it happens enough that it's definitely a "thing."

Your pressure doesn't seem crazy at all, so I wouldn't expect that to be a problem either. I don't see your EPR value, but I suspect that is where the problem is.

Thanks. The EPR is set at 1 and in the "ramp only" mode. Do you think it would still be of any help if I completely turned the EPR off? I have also observed that I usually have less CAs of this kind when I sleep through the night without interruption.

Also, can you tell from the screen shots whether the CAs toward the end of the sleep appear to be real or they are a result of my moving while sleeping?

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Why the hell is this happening?  |  Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:07 am

PAP Mask: Bleep/DreamPort nasal mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Since EPR is on only in ramp time then turning it totally off won't do anything for those late in the night centrals.
And that was assuming that EPR was a factor in those centrals which it can be for some people but not all people.

Have you watched the videos here to help you decide if those CAs/centrals are real asleep flagged events or awake/semi Awake/SWJ flagged events?
http://freecpapadvice.com/sleepyhead-free-software

Has the machine ever flagged any of that breathing as CSR/PB?