Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Poll: Where Are You From?
FAQ
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Click this Affiliate Link to Support FreeCPAPAdvice when buying from Amazon. Easiest way to support us!

Please consider a small PayPal donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Where are you from?  
North America 80% 16  80% 
South America 5% 1  5% 
Europe 5% 1  5% 
Asia 0% 0  0% 
Africa 0% 0  0% 
Australia 10% 2  10% 
Antarctica 0% 0  0% 
Total votes : 20

lucas7bm
Unread post  Post subject: Poll: Where Are You From?  |  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:51 pm

Well, I've heard some of you don't like polls, but I'm really curious about this (and know that deep down you love them).

I'm from Brazil and, unfortunately, getting diagnosed with Sleep Apnea can be really hard and confusing. There is not much information about it and most information is spread all over the internet*. Basically, if you have severe sleep apnea and you don't speak english, you'll have to trust people (like doctors and technicians) that - knowing what I do now - are not that smart and can give some bad (and expensive) advices, like several sleep studies or buying a machine for 2x of it's price. As expected, I made my way to this forum, which is helping me so much.

So I got curious: most of you are from North America, I believe, but how many of you are from South America, Europe, Asia, etc? For those of you, how is it to get information about sleep apnea and CPAP on your countries/native languages? Tell me about it. Thank you :3

--------------------

*In fact, this is a reason why I'm considering doing a series of explanatory videos about sleep apnea and the use of CPAP. You know, passing knowledge forward.
Se alguém aí se interessar em ajudar, ou mesmo quem quiser somente alguém pra conversar sobre, mandem uma mensagem no inbox. Seria bom ter amigos brasileiros que passam por isso :)

--------------------

Just an example: this is the most visited/posted brazilian forum about CPAP/Sleep Apnea that I've found so far. You don't need to understand portuguese to see that there is less than 15 posts in the whole forum, and the most recent is from 2015. It's really sad:

Fórum de Utilizadores de CPAP

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Poll: Where Are You From?  |  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

When my wife and I visited her family in Mumbai India, we were told (by physician family members) that sleep apnea really isn't a "thing" there. This was 10 years ago though. Maybe it has changed.

What is interesting to me is that despite many Indian people being thin, they often have very severe apnea as a race.

I would imagine that getting information/supplies/treatment would be difficult.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

lucas7bm
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Poll: Where Are You From?  |  Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:56 pm

Well, I'm definitely not indian, but I believe the genetic risk factor is possibly the strongest one, or at least one of the strongests. I'm tall, thin, my neck has the "right size", I'm not old, I'm a man and even so I have severe apnea. And doing some research I've found that this is not as rare as we would expect. When there is genetic influence, it's almost certain that a severe syndrome will happen.

Sleep2snore
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Poll: Where Are You From?  |  Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:58 am

PAP Mask: Nasal Pillows - Swift FX
PAP Machine: Remstar Airsense 10 Autoset / Remstar Auto Cflex APAP as back up!
Humidifier: Also F&P stand alone (Used with back-up machine).
Pressure Setting: 10 - 20

I quite believe my mother had it, maybe even my father, but can't be certain of this, but she snored a certain way, not loudly, but did stop breathing. She had dementia in the end.