Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - OSA Diagnosis without apnea events?
FAQ
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

bkk_al
Unread post  Post subject: OSA Diagnosis without apnea events?  |  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I just received the results of my sleep study and having trouble understanding how I was diagnosed with Moderate OSA with 0 apnea events and an RDI index of 21. The doctor said I had hypopnea events and other distributions to respiratory function... I ask as this sleep study was done overseas and was thinking I should send this sleep report to someone to review. I also am unable to get a prescription as here anyone can go purchase a CPAP machine, so the Doctor would not write a prescription but said the sleep test results should be fine. Any advice would or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you..

AL

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: OSA Diagnosis without apnea events?  |  Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:28 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

You were diagnosed with it because there's more to SDB (sleep disturbed breathing) than just apnea.

Spending the night struggling to breath means you're not get any worthwhile rest, even if you don't completely stop breathing.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: OSA Diagnosis without apnea events?  |  Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:33 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Hyponeas are just obstructive apneas that don't quite make the criteria for an OA flag and they can be just as destructive to the body as the full grown OA might be.
That's why the AHI is composed of apneas and hyponeas
Apnea Index
Hyponea Index
added together
and why Hyponeas are unwanted

Example....depending on the sleep study there is a minimum criteria for flow reduction to earn the OA flag. .in most places it is 80% for at least 10 seconds.
Now suppose the flow reduction is only 70% and it lasts 30 seconds...it gets a hyponea flag because it isn't at least 80% despite it being a lot longer in duration.

So hyponeas are worth trying to kill because they can be bad guys even though maybe not initially seen as a bad guy because they are often referred to as "only a hyponea" but in terms of what can happen to our sleep quality with air flow reduction between 70 and 80 % there's not much difference. Both can and will cause arousals which mess with our sleep quality a lot.