Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Waking up about 2.5 hours in every night wide awake
FAQ
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:42 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

codyg684
Unread post  Post subject: Waking up about 2.5 hours in every night wide awake  |  Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:22 am

PAP Mask: Amara Full Face CPAP Mask with Gel & Silicone Cushions
PAP Machine: DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine
Humidifier: 2/5
Pressure Setting: 5-15

Hello,

I have had a cpap for about a week now and I am having a couple issues.

1. I keep waking up about an 2.5 hours after I fall asleep. When I wake up im wide awake. For some reason I take my mask off (its hard to remember exactly why) but as soon as I take it off I become extremely sleepy almost instantly. For a few nights I was able to fight the sleepy feeling and get my mask back on before I fall asleep. Last night however I just fell asleep right after I took it off and did not put it on the rest of the night. This is frustrating because not only am I tired but my insurance payed for the cpap, so if this continues they will take back the machine (80% compliance over 4 hours a night). I am going to try and upload my sleepy head data in hopes someone can tell me what is going on because its pretty much gibberish to me. Hopefully my SSN isnt in the data :P

(It would not let me upload the sleepyhead csv file so I just copied all the data on my card into a zip file and uploaded, hope that's alright)

2. I am also having some mask leaks, mostly above my nose on the right side of my face or under my chin. I am a side sleeper. I am probably going to try to get a different mask so any advice on choosing one would be great. Im currently using a large Amara Gel. I was thinking about trying the AirFit F20. I need a full face mask because about half the time I dont breath well through my nose.

Thank you,
Cody

Attachments:
P-SERIES.zip [661.43 KiB]
Downloaded 12 times
diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up about 2.5 hours in every night wide awake  |  Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:56 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

STOP TAKING THE MASK OFF

Problem 1 solved.

Try mask liners for problem 2.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Chunkyfrog
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up about 2.5 hours in every night wide awake  |  Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:59 pm

PAP Mask: P10
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her
Humidifier: Built-in
Pressure Setting: 9.2-13

If you tape the straps to your face it will not be as easy to remove it when you shouldn't. If you get a little HAIR under the tape, the pain will help remind you not to do that.

codyg684
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up about 2.5 hours in every night wide awake  |  Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:56 pm

Hmm I was more wondering if there was some sleep cycle related reason or mask leak related reason as to why I keep taking my mask off. Im not sure just willing myself to keep the mask on will work because I am already using about as much self control as I have but really I barely even remember the incidents, so conscious control is minimal to begin with.

My question was more directed towards the lanky lefty guy from youtube who knows how to read all the data. I should have been more clear. I might give the liners a shot, so thx for that. I guess ill bite the bullet and learn how to read the sleepyhead stuff myself. Prolly be good to know anyway. Best of luck.

Cody

codyg684
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up about 2.5 hours in every night wide awake  |  Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Just incase this helps someone else ill post: So i went through my data, (took about an hour to learn the basics of reading sleepyhead data) and 5 of 9 nights I do wake up at around the 2.5 hour mark. I think it was 3 of 5 of these awakenings there was a large leak, or a large increase in the amount of leak, right before waking. Also the pattern of waking about 2.5 hours into sleep does not seem to hold after the 5th day. There are a couple of awakenings after large leaks after the fifth day but at different time intervals. Not sure if leaks are the cause though because there are plenty of large leaks where I don’t wake up. Maybe im just getting more used to them. I guess I need to fix my leak problem first, then see if the pattern holds.

CobaltSky
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Waking up about 2.5 hours in every night wide awake  |  Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:10 pm

PAP Mask: Aitfit P10 or Dreamwear (with a headband over lips)
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Integrated but without climateline hose
Pressure Setting: 9-13

Leaks on a FFM sure wake me up. You need to get leaks under control for a good nights sleep. Research different solutions (like double boil and bite mouth guard, for full face masks) or try a different mask or mask size. Airfit F20 leaks for me by the chin without a mouth guard, so I have a guard coming to try. If I am not too congested, I get my best results by far with an Airfit P10 nasal pillow and a stretchy headband around my cheeks and mouth.