Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - diagnosed with sleep apnea this summer
FAQ
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

LynneM
Unread post  Post subject: diagnosed with sleep apnea this summer  |  Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:14 pm

PAP Mask: Quatro FX
PAP Machine: VPAP Auto by ResMed
Humidifier: HumidAire 3i
Pressure Setting: IPap:11cmH20, EPap:4cmH20

hi

I'm new and haven't gotten a chance to go through all the topics yet. I never thought I had sleep apnea because I also suffer from severe insomnia since childhood and never get sleepy tired but have always been easily fatigued (and I guess I attributed it to my insomnia),but I started suffering even more symptoms this past year (and some really scare me) so my primary sent me to a cardiologist. I was very surprised when a cardiologist thought I might have it and ordered me to take the home test and that showed I had moderate sleep apnea. So I went to the sleep doctor and was put on cpap (about in Aug) after several months I wasn't feeling better, so I reluctantly agreed to take an in lab in Nov where it came back with no new news...yes I have severe insomnia (made much worse by having to take and in lab and yes I have moderate sleep apnea. My frustration lies with I only met the knowledgeable sleep doctor once and after that you are forced to see the PA's (who are both new to the discipline). Both PA's met me in a room and the 1 wasn't very nice at all. They basically said I had 2 choices 1) go for surgery (which isn't an option really....my sister had the UPPP surgery and she said it was more painful than childbirth and after a couple of years it was all for nothing and she was worse off and also I have no support system to help me through recovery) or they said 2) I could try bipap (but I would have to do another in lab study which is a hardship for me to do each time) and after that the 1 PA told me sometimes they just can't help people (news that would mean something coming from the doctor and not the brand new PA and I felt she should have been more positive...I was there out of desperation and to have a PA behave like that made me feel pretty depressed). So I took a third test in Dec to figure out the setting for bipap. Yesterday I had a practically brand new bipap machine donated to me (which was kind of the clinic) and I got a really quick tutorial through it by the sleep technologist there (who truthfully has been the most helpful to me through all my problems (which I have had problems with masks, my asthma, and really 1 thing after another). I have only used it last night and found it pretty difficult (way worse than cpap). I set the ramp to 45 minutes, but had to shut it off twice and turn it back on because it often takes me hours to fall asleep, but it was to much air coming at me (the inhale number is set to 11 and the exhale is set to 4)...my cpap automatically adjusted to what I needed and I was about a 13 on that but was often asleep on full blast. but worse than dealing with a high amount of air before I am asleep I guess I don't know how to explain this well, but it is almost forcing me to breathe faster than I am used to. Does anybody know what I am talking about? If anybody knows what I am talking about is there a way to slow the machine down. I know too its only been 1 night, but I have a feeling I'm just not going to get used to how fast it forces you to breathe. I am hesistant to call the sleep tech for help because he has been the only truly kind person at the clinic (I get the feeling I have been the topic of conversation there because I have had a lot of problems and I still don't feel better). And I don't want to bother the only person there that doesn't make me feel badly because I'm afraid his opinion will change of me and he might start treating me like I'm a peta (like the 2 PA's). Anyways if anybody has advice on how to slow the machine down I would be grateful.
thanks

CobaltSky
Unread post  Post subject: Re: diagnosed with sleep apnea this summer  |  Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:14 am

PAP Mask: Aitfit P10 or Dreamwear (with a headband over lips)
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Integrated but without climateline hose
Pressure Setting: 9-13

Sounds like that BiPAP, might help if we knew the exact model, has a backup rate that is forcing you to breath, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but might be weird and take some time to get used to.

I have been on CPAP/APAP for many years and when a recent sleep study showed central apneas, the tech tried me on a BiPAP with a backup rate and I felt like it was forcing me to breath too fast. The tech turned down the backup rate to minimum (which you may be able to do on yours) but I still had a hard time adjusting to it and falling asleep, and ended up with an O2 bleed in on APAP which has mostly fixed my centrals.

Are you on any medications that might slow your respiration rate?

LynneM
Unread post  Post subject: Re: diagnosed with sleep apnea this summer  |  Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:47 am

PAP Mask: Quatro FX
PAP Machine: VPAP Auto by ResMed
Humidifier: HumidAire 3i
Pressure Setting: IPap:11cmH20, EPap:4cmH20

hi CobaltSky,

I just got a VPAP Auto by ResMed donated to me by the sleep clinic I have been going to...it is a bipap machine and I have a feeling an older model but it has only 320 hrs used on it. I have bronchitis right now so am on doxycline, among other things, and have asthma (although it is not too bad right now unbelievably) so not sure if its messing with my breathing. I found out from a knowledgeable source on the forum that it was the rise rate on my machine, which I happened to be wondering about. I was told if I increase the rise time which increases the time it takes to reach inspiratory pressure and by doing that it will slow down the machine. I took his advice and bumped up the numbers until it was more tolerable. So I am starting to get used to bipap more and fingers crossed it works better for me than cpap did. Thank you so much for your advice CobaltSky. Much appreciated :)
Lynne