FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:10 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

joshthel0ser
Unread post  Post subject: Another Newbie!  |  Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:18 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit F20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Humidifier: Integrated HumidAir
Pressure Setting: 8

Hello all!

I'm so new, I just had my titration less than a week ago and haven't gotten results yet, much less, gotten my machine.

My apnea is mild from what I've been told.

Questions:

When the home healthcare person comes, what should I expect? Do I have any say in the machine I receive?
Do I get to try different masks to find a suitable choice?
How does it work, and/or, how was this process for you?

P.S. Jason, you rock dude.

If you throw it hard enough.

Kittens McTavish
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Another Newbie!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:07 am

PAP Mask: F&P Eson 2, Philips Dreamwear
PAP Machine: Philips DreamStation
Humidifier: Philips
Pressure Setting: 9

Welcome, Josh!

It sounds like you haven't had the follow-up study where you sleep with a CPAP machine? That will be your opportunity to try different masks. The machine you receive very likely depends on the DME assigned by your insurance company.

I've only been on CPAP a couple of months myself and I'm finally getting into the routine of preparing/breaking down/cleaning the equipment every day and learning to make friends with my mask. Keep asking questions here as the process continues; you'll find many knowledgeable new pals!

Tell me is this where I give it all up?
For you, I have to risk it all
Cause the writing's on the wall

Sam Smith

joshthel0ser
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Another Newbie!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:32 am

Thank you!

And yes, I have, that's what I meant by titration.

So far I know I want a full face mask, but as a person with chronic pain (and a constant headache/migraine for over 3 years now), it will be difficult trying to find a mask that doesn't make the pain and pressure worse.

The Amara View seems good because it doesn't rest on the nose, and there's no strap or anything on the forehead.

CobaltSky
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Another Newbie!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:49 am

PAP Mask: Aitfit P10 or Dreamwear (with a headband over lips)
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Integrated but without climateline hose
Pressure Setting: 9-13

In my experience, figure out what you want, right now, (or a couple options at least depending on what the report will say) and have your doc write the order for exactly what you want. The DME will have to give you that. Otherwise they just give you a brick and whatever mask they have the best margins on. I asked got my report from the sleep center directly before I saw my doc for follow up. That way I knew what the report said and I figured out what equipment I wanted, asked him to write specific models, and got specific models.

joshthel0ser
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Another Newbie!  |  Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:33 pm

Well, my results say I'll need 8cm H20.

I'll call and make my followup soon.

ResMed seems nice, as well as DreamMachine. I don't know though.

Pretty sure I'll want the humidifier.

Zero clue what mask I'll want though..

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Another Newbie!  |  Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:32 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Check online sites like cpap.com or something similar to get an idea on mask styles, read their reviews, etc.

Shin Ryoku
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Another Newbie!  |  Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:26 pm

PAP Mask: Varies

Our host here Jason has done quite a few helpful mask reviews on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLankyLe ... query=mask

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Another Newbie!  |  Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:02 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

joshthel0ser wrote:
P.S. Jason, you rock dude.
I find it very ironic that on the same day on YouTube I was called a "Medical Jerk." :)
Thanks, appreciate the kind words.

joshthel0ser wrote:
Questions:

When the home healthcare person comes, what should I expect? Do I have any say in the machine I receive?
Do I get to try different masks to find a suitable choice?
How does it work, and/or, how was this process for you?
You do have a say. Standard CPAPs and APAPs are billed the same way through insurance (same code/cost as far as they are concerned). You DME doesn't feel the same way since they pay more for the APAP vs. the CPAP. They will try to set you up with a CPAP usually. If not, demand an APAP. If they say "no Josh...your doctor wrote a script for a CPAP". Say, "fantastic, go ahead and set that APAP up in CPAP mode."

It will be data capable and have the capability to help you self titrate should you need to later. You'll be able to use SleepyHead and check up on your own therapy. You'll be much happier.

Usually you don't get to try several masks, but you do have a 30 day window to exchange masks. One of my more recent videos on YouTube goes over some of the better masks (in my opinion) to start with. Search "Oprah" while in my channel and it will come up. Beyond the theatrics there are some helpful masks to start with.

Shin Ryoku wrote:
Our host here Jason has done quite a few helpful mask reviews on YouTube
Thanks for the donation Shin! That was a nice surprise!

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.