FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:03 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

etbrown
Unread post  Post subject: Lips open with moderate pressure on Nasal Mask. Can it be pr  |  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:51 pm

I know that users by the thousands use Nasal masks. I use the Dreamwear. I've read about lots of nasal mask users of all kinds, experiencing their lips opening and losing pressure.

I found that in my situation, while sleeping, my lips open in reaction to pressure of about 10 or 12.

I believe it has nothing at all to do with the brand or adjustment of the mask. but rather the effective pressurizing of one's mouth! If you are asleep you can't really consciously force your lips together and hold them.

I wonder if the esteemed moderator or others know if there is a way to avoid this, as 10 is not high pressure.

I've seen the Ultimate Chin Strap and don't really want to wrap my head like a mummy! Moth tape is a non-starter here anyway.

Tips appreciated

CobaltSky
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Lips open with moderate pressure on Nasal Mask. Can it b  |  Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:55 pm

PAP Mask: Aitfit P10 or Dreamwear (with a headband over lips)
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Integrated but without climateline hose
Pressure Setting: 9-13

Same problem here. Tape fixed it but a stretchy headband over my mouth and lips fixed it too and now, no more tape. A full face mask would help as well.

Allessio77
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Lips open with moderate pressure on Nasal Mask. Can it b  |  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:24 am

PAP Mask: Quattro Air and Airtouch F20
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Auto
Pressure Setting: 7-11

in the "for what its worth'" department...

I use the same Dreamwear, and at the same pressure (about 10) my mouth starts to bubble open with air.
I tried a popular chin strap (which is more like wrestling headgear) to no avail. Mouth still manages to open slightly.
I tried Micropore 1" tape, using a 3 inch horizontal piece and a 2 inch vertical piece, but air still escaped late in the night.
When I use my FFM (Quattro Air), even though it also leaks, I get my best leakage numbers and my best AHI numbers.
I plan now to investigate the FFM's and see which one is the most comfortable and effective.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Lips open with moderate pressure on Nasal Mask. Can it b  |  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:53 am

PAP Mask: Quattro
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 12-20

Some people have had luck with cervical colors to hold their chin up...often in addition to tape/chinstraps. FF Mask is much easier.

etbrown
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Lips open with moderate pressure on Nasal Mask. Can it b  |  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:56 am

I read on another blog that some folks use a lady's headband worn across their mouth, with cutouts to hook around their ears. I see Cobaltsky has tried the same thing successfully.

APPARENTLY They are about 3" wide and sell on Amazon, 5 for $5. I have some on the way.

Obviously the lips popping open is due to air pressure. What's odd is that the pressure is not constant. IE sometimes i can open my mouth and there is no pressure there. Not sure what that means or how that could be! Another mystery of cpap.

CobaltSky
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Lips open with moderate pressure on Nasal Mask. Can it b  |  Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:06 pm

PAP Mask: Aitfit P10 or Dreamwear (with a headband over lips)
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Integrated but without climateline hose
Pressure Setting: 9-13

etbrown wrote:
I read on another blog that some folks use a lady's headband worn across their mouth, with cutouts to hook around their ears. I see Cobaltsky has tried the same thing successfully.

APPARENTLY They are about 3" wide and sell on Amazon, 5 for $5. I have some on the way.

Obviously the lips popping open is due to air pressure. What's odd is that the pressure is not constant. IE sometimes i can open my mouth and there is no pressure there. Not sure what that means or how that could be! Another mystery of cpap.

See post 2 above.
Works wonders for me, which to be honest, surprised me, better than tape alone.