FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:28 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

mlightmile84
Unread post  Post subject: Should I have a minimum pressure support?  |  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:27 pm

I've had this machine for years and just noticed there is no minimum pressure support, it's at zero.

Should there be? My AHI tends to be low, but I am still tired most days. Not as bad as pre-therapy, but not ever that refreshed. I may get my testosterone and vitmain levels checked next, so this may not be sleep related, but I thought I'd see if the PS would improve my therapy at all?

When I was put on the machine initially, I was 239 lbs @ 5'9. I'm down to 157lbs now but I tried sleeping without the machine and felt really bad.

Guess even with the weight loss, I have apnea.

Attachments:
chart.png
chart.png [ 63.73 KiB | Viewed 383 times ]
LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Should I have a minimum pressure support?  |  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:02 pm

PAP Mask: Quattro
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 11-15

With an AHI that low, there is no reason to change anything. See what your medical tests show. Weight is not necessarily the cause of OSA. There are children that use CPAPs.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Should I have a minimum pressure support?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:42 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

PS minimum being something other than 0 won't necessarily improve your therapy. It might improve comfort if you are uncomfortable with existing pressures. If you are happy with your comfort and happy with the reports (they are great BTW) there is no need to add a minimum PS to your starting pressures.
The machine will still do the PS thing as needed to deal with centrals or breathe for you. So the machine will still auto adjust the PS as needed for the therapy side of things. All it does is start from 0 instead of something else and it doesn't really matter what it starts at.

mlightmile84
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Should I have a minimum pressure support?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:06 pm

LSAT wrote:
With an AHI that low, there is no reason to change anything. See what your medical tests show. Weight is not necessarily the cause of OSA. There are children that use CPAPs.

Thanks a lot.

The low AHI actually messes with me some times. It makes me think I don't really have apnea.

I did try sleeping without it for 5 days. I really did not feel good. Kind of like I was in a bad dream state.

I never had an issue sleeping until I gained a bunch of weight suddenly, which promoted the sleep test and diagnosis.

I really thought losing the weight would fix it, but I guess it's not that simple.

I also heard if you start using cpap, your body can become reliant on it and you will need it even if you lose the weight. May of been nonsense, but that concerns me.

mlightmile84
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Should I have a minimum pressure support?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:07 pm

Pugsy wrote:
PS minimum being something other than 0 won't necessarily improve your therapy. It might improve comfort if you are uncomfortable with existing pressures. If you are happy with your comfort and happy with the reports (they are great BTW) there is no need to add a minimum PS to your starting pressures.
The machine will still do the PS thing as needed to deal with centrals or breathe for you. So the machine will still auto adjust the PS as needed for the therapy side of things. All it does is start from 0 instead of something else and it doesn't really matter what it starts at.

No comfort issues. I actually raised the minimum pressure support to 2, just to see what it was like, and it was weird. It felt like something was trying too hard to breath for me.

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't "supposed" to be set to a minimum.

Thanks for your reply!

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Should I have a minimum pressure support?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:26 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

mlightmile84 wrote:
LSAT wrote:

Thanks a lot.

The low AHI actually messes with me some times. It makes me think I don't really have apnea.

All a low AHI should tell you is that your machine is WORKING for you.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur