Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Humidifier -- Use or don't use???
FAQ
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:41 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

Deek
Unread post  Post subject: Humidifier -- Use or don't use???  |  Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:39 pm

PAP Mask: Respironics DreamWear
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set
Pressure Setting: 6

Could someone explain what the use of the humidifier adds to the CPAP experience, if anything -- is it helpful or not so much?

I have been using my CPAP since May 2017 without using the humidifier (mainly to keep things as simple as possible and avoid the extra bother of having to deal with filling, emptying and cleaning the distilled water reservoir each day). I have had pretty good results overall thus far, but I am wondering if I am missing something by not using the humidifier.

I feel that I am sleeping much better with the CPAP -- even without humidity. I am dreaming again and finding deeper sleep than before -- but I do not regularly wake up feeling like I am ready to conquer the world as many have reported.

Just wondering if my results might possibly be better with use of humidifier and/or heated tube.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Deek

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Humidifier -- Use or don't use???  |  Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:54 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Some people find that the air blowing through the nose dries out the nasal mucosa and when nasal mucosa get dried out they react like they do when we have allergy attacks or bad cold. They swell up and get congested, itchy, runny, etc....not much fun and sometimes down right miserable.
For those people the added moisture from the humidifier is a critical part of being comfortable and feeling good.

So while maybe technically a "comfort" feature, for some people the comfort is a crucial part of being able to use the machine.

Some people need minimal to none added moisture and others will need as much as the machine will crank out (that would be me).
Sounds like your nose is happy without having added moisture or it would let you know if it wasn't.

Would adding some moisture maybe let you sleep a little better and feel a little better? Don't know....maybe...maybe not.
If you are having any congestion or nasal symptoms....I know that I don't sleep so great when my nose is stopped up...maybe worth trying for a short period of time to see if you feel any better.

I do know one guy who like you didn't use a humidifier because he just didn't want to mess with the water and all that then one night he had a bad cold and added the moisture to help see if it would reduce the congestion and it did and then he realized just how uncomfortable his nose had been all this time without the moisture.
Didn't realize it until he found out how it felt. So now he is a convert about using the humidifier.

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Humidifier -- Use or don't use???  |  Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:47 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

I'd still say it's a comfort feature...

Much the same way a mattress is a comfort feature compared to the hard floor... but some people seem perfectly happy sleeping on the hard floor. :D

Like you said, the only way to tell whether one's nose likes it or not, is to try.

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Humidifier -- Use or don't use???  |  Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:37 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

Yep, pretty much a comfort feature that can be a pretty important part of therapy for some and not others.

So maybe not technically part of the pressure aspect of therapy as in the pressure holding the airway open is...it's still a part of therapy that can be a make it or break it deal for some people. Let's face it...we have to be comfortable to be able to have the greatest chance of falling asleep and staying asleep. So in that sense "only a comfort feature" becomes pretty darn important.

The nasal mucosa humidity needs will vary among people.
I know husbands and wives who are both on cpap and one is like me and would snort water if they could and the other prefers minimal to none extra moisture and they are in the same household so we can't blame it on the ambient humidity where they might live. Why the different preference....I don't know. I just know it happens and it's apparently not all that uncommon.

Would using it (when they weren't using a humidifier) help the overall sleep quality improve so they could maybe feel better in the day .....dunno but it is worth trying if they are otherwise seeing good "numbers" on paper in terms of AHI and leak and hours of sleep, etc.
I think that anything that lets us sleep better and feel better is fair game to try and do and well worth it.

LSAT
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Humidifier -- Use or don't use???  |  Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:52 am

PAP Mask: Quattro
PAP Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
Pressure Setting: 11-15

With the low pressure setting that you have, the air may not dry out as fast as if you had a higher pressure. Depending upon where in the country you live, some states have much more humidity in the air than others. It sounds like you are curious about the humidifier use...what have you got to lose by trying it????????????

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Humidifier -- Use or don't use???  |  Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:25 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

LSAT wrote:
With the low pressure setting that you have, the air may not dry out as fast as if you had a higher pressure. Depending upon where in the country you live, some states have much more humidity in the air than others. It sounds like you are curious about the humidifier use...what have you got to lose by trying it????????????

Especially if you have it just lying around. You don't have to use the heated hose, you can try it with the standard hose and if you don't feel you need the humidification, then no harm, no foul. If you do like it, you can add the heated hose at a later time if money is an issue, or if you are using a DME and you have met your deductible for the year, see if you can get one before the end of the year.

Deek
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Humidifier -- Use or don't use???  |  Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:13 am

PAP Mask: Respironics DreamWear
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set
Pressure Setting: 6

Many thanks to all who responded. That's what makes this a unique and terrific Forum for all of us.

Deek