FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

DavidMonster
Unread post  Post subject: Help. I'm Miserable.  |  Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:47 pm

HELP! I'M MISERABLE! I got my cpap machine about 3 weeks ago, and every morning I felt worse than I normally do. I had a ResMed F20 Full Face Mask with Headgear. It was terrible, and I still have a red mark on my nose from it. I just got a new mask, a Amara Veiw Full Face Mask with Headgear. I used it last night, and I woke up a few times suffocating on my own hot breath. This morning, I felt worse than I normally do. All I want is to wake up feeling normal. I don't even dare to dream about feeling rested, anymore. I just don't want to feel like I'm exhausted, or like I'm going to die first thing in the morning. Does anyone have any tips they can give me? Does anyone feel better after they use their cpap? THANKS, David
--- I posted the above yesterday on Facebook, and last night was the same. I woke up miserable, and I have felt like crap all day. A lot of people gave me advice, but only a couple of people said that they feel great. Most said they've been using a cpap for months or years, and don't ever feel refreshed in the morning. So, is there any hope? Should I even bother?
Thanks, David.

DavidMonster
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help. I'm Miserable.  |  Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:23 am

It's 3:20am, and my machine woke me up. It's just air blowing on me. I don't understand how this could possibly help me. Does really help anyone, really? I'm so confused and so miserable.

Pugsy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help. I'm Miserable.  |  Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:22 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 or DreamWear Gel nasal pillows
PAP Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10
Pressure Setting: Depends on the machine as I actually have more than one

What machine are you using? Brand and model name??
Are you using a heated hose or regular hose? If a heated hose at what setting for hose air temp?
What pressure are you using?

Yes, it does help a lot of people but some people do have more hurdles when first starting therapy than others.

Do you normally breathe through your nose just fine during the day or do you have chronic nasal issues that pretty much force you to mouth breath a lot?

Thommy
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help. I'm Miserable.  |  Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:14 am

PAP Mask: Phillips Respironics Amara View
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet
Humidifier: Built in Heated Humidifier
Pressure Setting: 10~18cfm

I have been using CPAP since early September and it has been amazing.
180 degree improvement for me personally.
I scored an 78 AHI and now am disappointed when I am above a 2.0
I use the Amara mask and while it hurts my nose occasionally , I continue to use it (I have a big nose).
My migraines are gone, I wake up after about 6.5 hours of sleep FULLY rested and ready for the day and I do not snore anymore.
I do occasionally take off the mask in the middle of the night not realizing I had done it, but put it back on ASAP.
I rarely wake up in the night and never get up to go to the bathroom anymore.

I woke up at 5:30 am the other day, drove 3 hours to work, worked all day, drove 2 hours to pick up my son from college, drove 3 hours home and got there about 2am and NEVER even yawned or got drowsy even once.
I will NEVER go without my CPAP again.

If you are just blowing air, it sounds like you are leaking, which mine will do if it is not sealed well.
Ask questions and we will try to help

Karen
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help. I'm Miserable.  |  Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:02 pm

PAP Mask: Amara ViewFFM, Dreamwear nasal, Brevida nasal cushions, Resmed N20 nasal mask
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Humidifier: Built in humidifier
Pressure Setting: Changing- Right now 10-20/6 BIPAP auto

Hi David. I just started CPAP in August, and now am on BIPAP.

The very first night I used it I got the first ever restorative sleep ever. I went to my best friends house and actually STAYED awake through an entire movie ( usually I nod off immediately). I also asked them when they took a picture down that was always there. They told me 6 months ago. I just never noticed it. Was extremely fatigued all the time. Cognitively I notice a HUGE difference and it is progressing as time goes on. So YES, I think that CPAP is very much worth it.

Secondly, I would like to tell you that I am not a pro at it by any means. I have had many things that have driven me nuts with it. Poor mask fits, etc..etc..etc..

If you are very specific about your machine, your symptoms, your pressure levels etc. there are a number of people on the forum that have been EXTREMELY helpful to me.

I can empathize with the misery of being new, but it does get better!

Hang in there!

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help. I'm Miserable.  |  Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:56 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

Stick around David.

This can take some getting used to and there are several adjustments that may need to be made.

If you feel like you're suffocating from your own hot breath, then this could be a sign of "air starvation". Basically, you're not on high enough pressure. What is your pressure or pressure range? Not being on the correct pressure will be a HUGE problem.

Mask selection is also important. Size of mask and how it's adjusted is extremely important. It can be a journey at first so lets just keep plucking away one variable at a time.

Definitely download a program called "SleepyHead". It's free and is extremely helpful in getting your therapy dialed in so that you'll be successful and get some sleep.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

SnoreMachine
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help. I'm Miserable.  |  Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:19 pm

PAP Mask: AmaraView
PAP Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Water Tank
Pressure Setting: 5-20

I’ve been on cpap therapy for about 15 months. My apnea was so bad I fell asleep during the day while standing at my podium teaching. I almost wrecked our car with my wife saving both of us by yelling at me when I dozed off. After cpap, I am fully rested almost every day. And it isn’t so much not feeling sleepy during the day; it’s actually more about the increase in energy after cpap therapy. Have things gone perfectly during these 15 months? No. I am still struggling with mask fit, mask leak, hurricane blowing through the vents in the middle of the night. But I’m doing what I need to do to alleviate those problems. And now I can drive down the road and not feel so sleepy I can’t remember long stretches of of a trip I’ve been driving on. Cpap machines are like Rube Goldberg machines, but for now they are the best we have,and most importantly those machines are life savers.

DavidMonster
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help. I'm Miserable.  |  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:17 am

Hey Everybody! Thank you so much for your advice.
Here are my answers to your questions:
I'm using a DeVilbiss DV54. My pressure is on auto from 6-14, i think. I did some searches and think I need around 7-9. Does that sound right?
I do not have a heated hose.
I will download SleepyHead. Thank you LeftyLanky for putting up this site. I will stick around, and try a few more things. I'm discouraged, but I think I'm even going to try a nasal pillow mask. It looked horrible to me, at first, but from what I've experienced with my other masks, it might be the one.
Thanks, David.

DavidMonster
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help. I'm Miserable.  |  Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:26 am

This is what I was thinking of ordering next: Philips Respironics Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow System. Anyone have experience with it?
Thanks, David.

kev2lz
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help. I'm Miserable.  |  Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:25 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10
PAP Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Humidifier: Integrated
Pressure Setting: 6-16

I tried the Nuance Pro and the Resmed P10 when getting fitted and ultimately chose the P10. I've had great luck with nasal pillows, and feel like a different person (in a good way) since starting therapy. Good luck, and don't give up!

ShiftWorker
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Help. I'm Miserable.  |  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:04 am

PAP Mask: ResMed Air Fit F20
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
Humidifier: Integrated
Pressure Setting: 6/15/0/19/25

DavidMonster,
The Lanky Lefty has reviews of many masks on his YouTube channel, Watch them, not only informative but entertaining as well. Jason (The Lanky Lefty) has a great sense of humor.