FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:39 am

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

matusl
Unread post  Post subject: Mask Seal Tip for some users???  |  Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:19 pm

PAP Mask: ResMed Airfit F20 FF
PAP Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO
Humidifier: Heated with Heated Tube
Pressure Setting: 19/13 with 15 min ramp

Currently (new user basically) having issues with mask seal reports and leaks. I have the RESMED Aircurve 10 vauto which has the mask seal fit function & icons...red for bad and green smiley face for good.
This is something you can select and i'm sure other machines have something like this too.
In the past i have tightened my masks so tight that i have hurt the nose and upper gum line of my teeth.

I tightened straps based on sounds and perceived airflow. I have used the RESMED AIRFIT F20, AIRTOUCH F20, the AMARA VIEW and different sizes of all.
Today what i did was to sit down in front of my machine, using this mask fit/test function and adjusted the straps to keep the smiling face green! I was
surprised how much less tension was required to keep things happy and experience less pressure and pain.

This did take a while but doing this during the day (not just prior to bed) seemed to be the way to go for me. Still need to test for a few nights but, i did sit with a green
face for over 15 minutes per mask once stable, even moving around a bit.

Conclusion, since strap position has proved a good seal all that is needed now will be to attach straps, as adjusted, and give it a go tonight. You will be armed with some knowledge
and not simply guessing how well they are adjusted...waiting for the morning reports.

I like the therapy but hate the sore face syndrome. I'm not sure why my DME or online videos never suggested this method....or maybe i just missed this option?

Best to all!

Sleep2snore
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask Seal Tip for some users???  |  Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:57 pm

PAP Mask: Nasal Pillows - Swift FX
PAP Machine: Remstar Airsense 10 Autoset / Remstar Auto Cflex APAP as back up!
Humidifier: Also F&P stand alone (Used with back-up machine).
Pressure Setting: 10 - 20

It is a common mistake and usually the first one people new to CPAP make is to tighten the mask up to tight.
Quite often to the point they cut the bridge of the nose.
One problem to what you did is the shape of the face does change a bit when you lay dawn, however, it is a good starting point.
When I first started out using CPAP, they just handed you everything and told you this was it, go forth and use it.
If you were a new user they would assemble the mask for you and then tell you to adjust it to fit when you got home.
You would get the basics on how to use the machine and that was about it!
I used to find that during the night the mask would loosen off, just as if I had shrunk!
Not hard to tighten up again, but a bit annoying.

matusl
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask Seal Tip for some users???  |  Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:07 am

Understand completely. Thought I had a good idea but last night i had the worst leak yet so it's back to the drawing board for me....ready to see if i can find a custom made mask!

Chunkyfrog
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask Seal Tip for some users???  |  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:00 pm

PAP Mask: P10
PAP Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her
Humidifier: Built-in
Pressure Setting: 9.2-13

Most faces shift enough while lying down that mask adjustments must be made LYING DOWN.
This is usually the case even for slender, fit people.

matusl
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask Seal Tip for some users???  |  Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:42 am

Good point and thanks...i hate gravity!

diamaunt
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Mask Seal Tip for some users???  |  Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:00 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Resmed S9 vpap auto
Pressure Setting: 18/13-25/19

Gravity sucks!

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur