Get the best CPAP supplies today with free shipping at CheapCPAPSupplies.com Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - face down
FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:20 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

zonker
Unread post  Post subject: face down  |  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:17 pm

hi, all!

while i'm new to this forum, i'm not new to either a cpap forum in general, nor am i new to treating my sleep apnea.

my background, briefly, is-
63 year old male
started my therapy around mid to late june 2015
basically i'm pleased with the results of an ahi between 1-2

however, i'm still having some modest problem in staying asleep through the night. nothing to really complain about. but about ever hour or two, i wake up and roll over and get back to sleep.

i thought recently that maybe i'd try sleeping on my stomach. i had tried this early in my therapy, but found i couldn't get to sleep. but things change and i thought i'd give it another shot last night.

woaw! that was a bad move. at the time, i just took it as another very light sleep, which will happen to me every now and then. when i looked at the clock, an hour had gone by. figuring this wasn't working, i turned and slept on my side for the remainder f the night.

when i got up this morning, i checked sleepyhead. and it reports for that little over an hour, i hit a max of 45 ahi!!! how is that even possible? my events were everything but rera and flow limitation. no large leaks reported .

after having turned over to side sleep, the rest of the night was well within that 1-2 ahi range i usually enjoy. now, i understand that causation is not correlation. i further understand that one night's data doesn't mean that much.

but, having said that, does anyone know if sleeping on my stomach could possibly have caused this?

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: face down  |  Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:48 pm
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

I'm sure it was related to sleeping prone in some way. It's super rare, but there have been people that were actually worse while prone (usually it's worse while supine). Maybe you're one of those people...

Your overnight sleep study would shed more light on it if you slept prone during it.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

zonker
Unread post  Post subject: Re: face down  |  Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:43 am

"I'm sure it was related to sleeping prone in some way. It's super rare, but there have been people that were actually worse while prone (usually it's worse while supine). Maybe you're one of those people...

Your overnight sleep study would shed more light on it if you slept prone during it."

sorry not used to the software yet so had to cut and paste. no, during my home seep test i slept, as far as i know, as i do now. mostly left side, right side and then on my back. i have a bit of a bad back that flares up now and then and i'll sleep on my back then.

still, while i'm used to obstructives while on my back, i just thought it out of the ordinary that i had such a huge cluster of events during my stomach sleeping time.

i didn't try to repeat front sleeping last night. went back to regular routine and had a much better ahi of 1.53.

45 was just nuts!

Daniel Gagner
Unread post  Post subject: Re: face down  |  Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:02 am

PAP Mask: Respironics Dreamwear nasal
PAP Machine: Respironics Dreamstation 500
Humidifier: respironics
Pressure Setting: 9=13

Just an observation.

Okay, I know that sleeping on your side is supposed to often give better results. I've experimented a little and found out that in my case this is definitely true. I've spent several nights on my back and another set of nights on either side. When sleeping on my back my AHI is always about 3.5-4.5. Okay but not great. On my side I get a constant 0.50-0.70. That with giving 4-5 nights doing each.

I don't move much when I sleep. And since going to a foam mattress a few years ago I find that no matter what position I fall asleep in I wake up in exactly the same position in the morning with no sore spots. That didn't happen with a spring mattress. I always slept well but changed positions a few times before falling asleep and after. And my respironics dreamwear nasal mask lets me go on my side without my pillow breaking the seal.