Free CPAP Advice and Sleep Apnea Treatment Help Board • View topic - Sleep Apnea and GERD/Acid-Reflux
FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Shop Amazon and Support FreeCPAPAdvice

Please consider a small donation to FreeCPAPAdvice.com above, through Patreon, or using the Amazon Shopping link above when you purchase through Amazon. Thank you so much for your support!

Click the Patreon link and Sponsor FreeCPAPAdvice.com

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Sleep Apnea and GERD/Acid-Reflux  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:59 am

PAP Mask: F&P Simplus
PAP Machine: Philips Dreamstation Auto
Pressure Setting: 12 to 20 cmH2O

Does anyone know if sleep apnea and GERD/Acid-Reflux are related in any way?

If you had GERD/Acid-Reflux problems while sleeping, did you find the CPAP treatment improved it or made it worse?

TheLankyLefty
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Apnea and GERD/Acid-Reflux  |  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:41 am
Site Admin

PAP Mask: Practically tried them all.
PAP Machine: Use Phillips Respironics System One APAP with Aflex for mask testing
Humidifier: None
Pressure Setting: When testing, I use APAP with a range of 5-10

They are highly related.

Sleep apnea causes, or seems to worsen GERD. So chicken and egg....sleep apnea comes first. GERD won't result in sleep apnea.

To make things even more fun...GERD will damage the lower esophageal sphincter. This is what prevents air from going into your stomach with CPAP. Aerophagia is very common with people on CPAP who have GERD.

That was the set up to the crux of the question:
BillyHW wrote:
If you had GERD/Acid-Reflux problems while sleeping, did you find the CPAP treatment improved it or made it worse?

Often it seems that CPAP makes it worse because aerophagia is painful as hell. If there is no aerophagia, then it can take months for the damage to the lower esophageal sphincter to heal. With aerophagia, it can be very frustrating since you have to treat your apnea while preventing aerophagia. This can be very frustrating, but it can be done.

Shop Amazon and help out FreeCPAPAdvice by using this link: http://amzn.to/2dY19oA
Information on FreeCPAPAdvice.com should not be considered medical advice. Seek your physicians advice before seeking treatment for medical conditions. Information posted on the FreeCPAPAdvice.com website and forum is opinion and not statements of fact.

Mikkik1
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Apnea and GERD/Acid-Reflux  |  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:15 pm

PAP Mask: Airfit 10 full face mask
PAP Machine: Air curve 10S
Pressure Setting: 10/4

I have both as well and it really doesn't matter which came first. I take a PPI at night for healing esophagus and it appears to be working-went from unrelenting heartburn to only intermittent flare ups. I take Dexilent
Good luck, I can empathize.

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Apnea and GERD/Acid-Reflux  |  Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:43 pm

It's been about two and a half months on CPAP and my GERD symptoms are pretty much completely gone.

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Apnea and GERD/Acid-Reflux  |  Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:04 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

Billy, have you had any aerophagia? If so, how did you deal with it? I saw Jason's video on propping yourself up, or tucking in your chin. I tend to fall off my pillows, and tucking chin is kinda hit or miss, just looking for options. Thanks.

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Apnea and GERD/Acid-Reflux  |  Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:32 am

cindyY wrote:
Billy, have you had any aerophagia? If so, how did you deal with it? I saw Jason's video on propping yourself up, or tucking in your chin. I tend to fall off my pillows, and tucking chin is kinda hit or miss, just looking for options. Thanks.

I haven't had any major aerophagia.

BillyHW
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Apnea and GERD/Acid-Reflux  |  Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:34 am

Just to update on this thread, my GERD is pretty much completely gone now on CPAP.

I wonder what proportion of GERD sufferers really have undiagnosed/untreated sleep apnea?

Has anyone else here been cured of their GERD? :D

Karen
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Apnea and GERD/Acid-Reflux  |  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:26 pm

PAP Mask: Resmed F20 Full face mask
PAP Machine: Resmed airsense 10
Humidifier: Built in humidifier
Pressure Setting: Currently 8-12. Apap

I am so happy for you Billy! I can't wait to say that about myself. The whole reason I am going on to BIPAP is to help with the comfort level and swallowing air.

I DO have a small hiatal hernia though. I just started to try and stop eating after dinner and before bed.

Yes- Saw Jason's video on this too!

cindyY
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Apnea and GERD/Acid-Reflux  |  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:33 pm

PAP Mask: AirFit P10, Swift FX, Swift FX Nano, Eson2
PAP Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto in S mode
Humidifier: Integrated set to 5 @ 81F; ClimateLineAir heated hose
Pressure Setting: IPAP 19 EPAP 15

BillyHW wrote:
Just to update on this thread, my GERD is pretty much completely gone now on CPAP.

I wonder what proportion of GERD sufferers really have undiagnosed/untreated sleep apnea?

Has anyone else here been cured of their GERD? :D

Yes. Almost immediately. Aerophagia disappeared for the most part, too. Still happens very infrequently, mostly happens the first night I switch masks.

Shin Ryoku
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Apnea and GERD/Acid-Reflux  |  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 am

PAP Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillows mask
PAP Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto
Pressure Setting: Min EPAP 7, Max IPAP 25, PS 5

I definitely feel like PAP has helped my GERD.

Ifeelwaybetter
Unread post  Post subject: Re: Sleep Apnea and GERD/Acid-Reflux  |  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:55 am

PAP Mask: Resmed P10
PAP Machine: Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto
Humidifier: Adaptive, Heated Tube
Pressure Setting: 9.0 - 15.5

Prior to being diagnosed with sleep apnea I experienced heartburn and acid reflux, but never knew there was a relationship between the conditions. Almost immediately after starting therapy, the heartburn/acid reflux pretty much disappeared. Just one of the many positive side benefits of treating sleep apnea. Thankfully I've never experienced aerophagia!